The Facebook prank on Tito?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Facebook prank on Tito?

Post by Scott »

[This is a discussion topic for the March 2016 book of the month Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.]

What did you think of the Facebook prank Tito and Jeremy played on the school bully? Did you root for Jeremy and Tito? Did you think it was an inappropriate prank?

View Eating Bull on Amazon | View Eating Bull on Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I understood they wanted to pull a fast one on him, but thought they were wrong to do that. I thought it was an inappropriate prank, and they got down to his level by doing so.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I did not root for them. I felt that it was a mistake, and I actually hated that part. Tito seemed to be smart enough to not fall into that trap, and Jeremy didn't actually want to do it.
I almost wish that whole part hadn't been in the book, except that it shows the lengths people will go to fit in.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

I didn't agree with it. I can understand from their perspective, but the way they went about it was all wrong. I am not at all an advocator for revenge, it only makes things worse and does not help anyone.
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I didn't agree with it because two wrongs don't make a right. Still, I was rooting for Tito and Jeremy because Calvin was just such a nasty bully. It's fairly common that kids who are bullied dream of getting revenge - this was just a high-tech way of doing it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I understand why they did it but I did not like that they did, because for some reasons, I felt that they would not get away with it.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I almost wish that part hadn't happened :?
It felt a little disparate from the rest of the book.

Although, it did set up the ideal reason for Tito's parents to do what they did :roll:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I also was disappointed with that episode. Having said that, my feelings towards Jeremy hadn't changed much. Bullies are bullies.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

I didn't think the prank was a good idea and Jeremy didn't want to go along with it either. I did feel like Jeremy needed to stand up against Calvin, but this wasn't the way to do it. Instead of standing up for himself he was hiding behind a computer screen and using the same tactics as Calvin. Two wrongs don't make a right just like bookowlie said.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I agree with the previous comments that two wrongs don't make a right. I realize that Jeremy was sick of being bullied and wanted to get back at Calvin. However, that really wasn't the way to go about it and only brought them down to Calvin's level.
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

I honestly thought the prank was quite childish. As a few others have mentioned above, there were other ways to get back at Calvin. By going through with this prank, Jeremy and Tito suffered more as a result. Instead of finding an adult or telling a parent, these kids stooped down to Calvin's level and because bullies themselves. Even though Jeremy wanted nothing to do with the prank, I feel like he had kind of changed his mind about the entire thing later on in the story. We see this when they run into Calvin at school. Jeremy lets the cat out of the bag that Courtney wasn't real and it sparked a lot of trouble for Tito and himself as the story ran on. Another thing too is the repercussions that came out of the action. Tito and Jeremy not being able to hang out anymore, Tito being banned from Facebook for creating the false account, etc...these are all actions that could have been avoided and that honestly caused more harm than the prank. Here we have Jeremy who needs friendship and someone who really cares about him, and then the boys go and blow it with this prank. That was a very firm lapse in judgment and I blame Tito for not listening to Jeremy in the first place. Granted, boys will be boys and I know in bullying situations kids want to stand up for themselves and fight for their rights...but this is the wrong way to do it. The boys, as I stated earlier, should have talked to their parents or to a teacher for help. Nothing might not have been done aside from a firm talking to but it still would have been something other than cyber bullying.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree with everyone here. Revenge doesn't solve problems, sometimes it creates more. Tito was too caught up in wanting Calvin to be on the receiving end of bullying that he didn't think the consequences of his actions. Like others have said, I understand why Tito and Jeremy wanted to do it, but they did not make the right decision in doing so.

I hope when I have kids, if there is an issue with anyone at school that they can't solve, they would inform an adult to help with the situation instead of sinking so low to try to make themselves feel better.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

I also agree with everyone above. Two wrongs really don't make a right, and I was a bit disappointed with that part of the book. I cannot support any kind of behavior that will hurt someone's feelings, and bullying people is bullying - no matter who does it. And no matter how small the prank is.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

I agree with everyone here. I thought it was nice to see children make mistakes though. To me, this prank actually make Tito and Jeremy seem like real, bullied teenagers.
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I absolutely agree that catfishing is not the answer to bullying. I got the feeling that Jeremy would have liked to get revenge in an honorable way or just be able to stand up for himself. I was so heartbroken for Tito and Jeremy after the Facebook fallout. They really needed each other and their prank cost them their friendship.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”