The Facebook prank on Tito?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Re: The Facebook prank on Tito?

Post by Paliden »

HorrorFan87 wrote:I honestly thought the prank was quite childish. As a few others have mentioned above, there were other ways to get back at Calvin. By going through with this prank, Jeremy and Tito suffered more as a result. Instead of finding an adult or telling a parent, these kids stooped down to Calvin's level and because bullies themselves. Even though Jeremy wanted nothing to do with the prank, I feel like he had kind of changed his mind about the entire thing later on in the story. We see this when they run into Calvin at school. Jeremy lets the cat out of the bag that Courtney wasn't real and it sparked a lot of trouble for Tito and himself as the story ran on. Another thing too is the repercussions that came out of the action. Tito and Jeremy not being able to hang out anymore, Tito being banned from Facebook for creating the false account, etc...these are all actions that could have been avoided and that honestly caused more harm than the prank. Here we have Jeremy who needs friendship and someone who really cares about him, and then the boys go and blow it with this prank. That was a very firm lapse in judgment and I blame Tito for not listening to Jeremy in the first place. Granted, boys will be boys and I know in bullying situations kids want to stand up for themselves and fight for their rights...but this is the wrong way to do it. The boys, as I stated earlier, should have talked to their parents or to a teacher for help. Nothing might not have been done aside from a firm talking to but it still would have been something other than cyber bullying.

I agree completely!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I can understand why they wanted to hurt him, but I can’t say what they did was right. Unfortunately Jeremy was at that age where teenagers often act before thinking things through. By doing what they did, they just sunk down to the level of the bully.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Rum Runner by Peter J. Barnett & Andrew B. Koski

Post by Laney K »

I agree that the prank was childish but it sort of showed how far the two were willing to go to get a sense of control.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”