Favorite character?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Re: Favorite character?

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Okay I will be the first to say it. Darwin was my favorite character. I found his psyche incredibly interesting and it was great fun trying to understand his "discipline." In most books that I have read, a serial killer's cause is not necessarily revealed - in Rubin's book we actually see that his mother was the main cause of his emotional strife and hatred towards larger people. It makes his character so much more interesting to see his backstory and his overwhelming emotions and mental deterioration taking over his actual self. We see Darwin's true form and identity become so lost that not even he is willing to go by his real name or live a normal life. I found his character both equally easy to hate but also easy to pity. The Voice completely shuts him down, takes away his reality, his name, his being, and controls him like a puppet simply by meshing its thoughts with Darwin's. Maybe I read too much into his character but I just found him absolutely fascinating!

-- 07 Mar 2016, 21:38 --
bookowlie wrote:I also liked Tito! He was more daring than Jeremy and basically extended the hand of friendship to Jeremy. Jeremy was too shy and self-conscious about his weight so he would not have reached out to Tito on his own. Also, due to his bullying grandfather being home 24/7, Jeremy would never have invited someone to hang out at his house. Tito was so nice to walk home with him and invite him over - this really helped Jeremy gain a little self-confidence by having a friend. Tito's encouragement and his defense of him at school made Jeremy feel like someone cared about him. Although his mom was nice to him, Jeremy's grandfather and his mom's ex-boyfriend made him feel ugly and worthless. Tito was a big catalyst to help Jeremy feel good about himself.

Absolutely! Tito was fantastic. I loved the caring nature that he had for Jeremy, even after the whole Facebook prank fiasco. On top of that, Tito was so incredibly nerdy and I loved that about him. It made the character so relatable. One thing I did wonder, early on, was whether he could possibly be Darwin - the love of bridges and models reminded me of Darwin's puzzle fetish. Tito was much too nice to be Darwin but I did think it was an interesting link between the ultimate good and ultimate evil of the book.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've made progress--I think I have about 20% of the book to finish. This author has done a great job with ALL the characters so far. I still say Jeremy and Tito are my favorites, but maybe I should wait until I've finished the book to make that determination...
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

MsMartha wrote:I have to agree--I like Jeremy and Tito! That being said, I'm only about a third of the way into the book, so I suppose it's possible I'll change my mind at some point.

One thing that impresses me is that none of the characters are "perfect" people. They all have issues of some kind, and they're doing what they can do, and doing it as well as they can. Kind of like real folks...
Yes. I have been noticing that recently in all the book that I have been reading. I like that the characters have flaws and make mistakes. It makes the character more realistic. No one is perfect all the time.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by bekkilyn »

HorrorFan87 wrote:Okay I will be the first to say it. Darwin was my favorite character. I found his psyche incredibly interesting and it was great fun trying to understand his "discipline." In most books that I have read, a serial killer's cause is not necessarily revealed - in Rubin's book we actually see that his mother was the main cause of his emotional strife and hatred towards larger people. It makes his character so much more interesting to see his backstory and his overwhelming emotions and mental deterioration taking over his actual self. We see Darwin's true form and identity become so lost that not even he is willing to go by his real name or live a normal life. I found his character both equally easy to hate but also easy to pity. The Voice completely shuts him down, takes away his reality, his name, his being, and controls him like a puppet simply by meshing its thoughts with Darwin's. Maybe I read too much into his character but I just found him absolutely fascinating!
Which reminds me of something I was thinking about while reading the book...

I was getting the impression that The Voice was a symptom of what used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder. (I can't remember what it's called now.) The condition is that the person is made up completely different personalities that may or may not realize that the other personalities exist. It seems that the "statistician self" personality (I can never remember this character's real name) was becoming more and more suppressed by the Darwin personality throughout the course of the book. The statistician, as a separate personality, would actually be an innocent victim of Darwin too.
jott_2009
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jott-2009.html

Post by jott_2009 »

My favorite character is Jeremy. I've never been as big as he is, but I've always struggled with my weight. I definitely can see where his character is coming from.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I finished the book, and still have the same favorite characters. But I also have to say this author did a fabulous job with ALL of them--and that isn't something I experience often.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

Definitely Jeremy. He was easy to empathize with, especially since there were many situations in which he had very little control. Sue and Connie both had aspects of their personalities that made them irritating at times. (I guess that's true of real people also.)
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
The_Venturas
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-venturas.html

Post by The_Venturas »

tortoise keeper wrote:Definitely Jeremy. He was easy to empathize with, especially since there were many situations in which he had very little control. Sue and Connie both had aspects of their personalities that made them irritating at times. (I guess that's true of real people also.)
Agree with that :D
Jeremy is my favorite too
I hate connie, as well :(
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Both Jeremy and Tito were my favorites! Jeremy pulled through in the end saving everyone and started to turn his life around. Tito was an all around strong person. Love them both!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

chytach18- wrote:Jeremy, with no doubt. I could visualise him and I feel for him. From the first page of the book, I wanted to protect him. He's real. I took an instant dislike of his grandfather also from the first page and was struggling to change my mind throughout the book. I remember my late grandfather as the most lovely and caring man. Sue - I don't know. She meant good, but so often we meet people whose second name is "bull". Connie could be a lovely mother if she had some personality herself.
Very well explained. My favorite character is Jeremy, too. His character has a lot of elements in it, and he has a personality. I connected with his character almost instantly.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

I have to say that it was Jeremy, definitely! I could picture and imagine his pain, and everything he was going trough. Sometimes I wished I could just jump into the book and give him a big hug. Lovely character.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

tortoise keeper wrote:Definitely Jeremy. He was easy to empathize with, especially since there were many situations in which he had very little control. Sue and Connie both had aspects of their personalities that made them irritating at times. (I guess that's true of real people also.)
I agree about Sue and Connie. Sue was too domineering and rigid - the my way or the highway mentality. Connie focused more on her love life than her son.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
I agree about Sue and Connie. Sue was too domineering and rigid - the my way or the highway mentality. Connie focused more on her love life than her son.
I couldn't put it better myself. Nicely said tortoise keeper and bookowlie!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

While he was the villain in this story, the character I thought who was portrayed the best was Darwin. I thought the author did a great job creating real characters, each with positive and negative attributes.
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

Tito, for sure...!! He was strong and did the right thing, he was not scared, stood up for himself and his friend,also he was quite intelligent.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”