The Reveal (Spoiler)

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Reveal (Spoiler)

Post by Scott »

[This is a discussion topic for the March 2016 book of the month Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.]

Were you surprised to find out Darwin's identity? Did you see it coming? If so, at what point?

View Eating Bull on Amazon | View Eating Bull on Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I had a pretty good idea pretty early on, but I do that :roll:
I did waver a bit throughout, but kept coming back.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I suspected toward the middle, but wasn't sure till the end.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I had absolutely no idea. I about jumped out of my chair when it was revealed who Darwin actually was. Completely caught me off guard!
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by bekkilyn »

I was pretty certain it was going to be someone they already knew, and narrowed it down to the "statistician" and "lawyer's boyfriend". However, I dropped "lawyer's boyfriend" because he was Jeremy's mothers' boss and Darwin had been having issues with his own boss and his co-worker, and I would have thought the Jeremy's mother would have had issues with him there too.

I remained dubious about the "statistician" until the end though since no one in the health department mentioned the lady having a "heart attack" and connecting it with anything suspicious or coincidental. It also didn't seem likely for Darwin to be able to have a close relationship with anyone considering his OCD and phobia of germs. He wouldn't have been able to completely hide it and I would have thought Jeremy's mother to have at least noticed a few irregularities with the man, even if she didn't connect him with the murders.

I think Darwin's identity and keeping it hidden was the most rough-edged part of this book. I'm not sure how it could have been better handled, but I still felt something was missing with the identity connection.
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

I had my suspicions, but I tried hard to reserve my judgement. I like to be surprised when it comes to twists, and I was certainly not disappointed!
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I just finished the book a few hours ago. :) He was one of my suspects, but I was all over the map on this one. I also was suspicious of Mr. Sneekers, Jonathan (the lawyer's boyfriend), and Calvin's dad. At one point early in the book, I even suspected the janitor. :) I didn't get serious about George as a suspect until he tried to persuade the grandfather to leave the house.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I suspected early on (I probably read too many Mary Higgins Clark books) so I was not surprised when it unraveled, instead I was glad my suspicion was correct.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

He was on my short list of suspects, so I wasn't too shocked. However, I was leaning more toward the lawyer's boyfriend.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:He was on my short list of suspects, so I wasn't too shocked. However, I was leaning more toward the lawyer's boyfriend.
I suspected him at first too. He was a good candidate. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

I was shocked. I completely thought it was the doctor (Mr. Sneekers) or Connie's old boyfriend (Rex). I kept focusing on the hand sanitizer comments. Both of those characters kept using it, but there was no mention of George ever washing his hands.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

KAV wrote:I was shocked. I completely thought it was the doctor (Mr. Sneekers) or Connie's old boyfriend (Rex). I kept focusing on the hand sanitizer comments. Both of those characters kept using it, but there was no mention of George ever washing his hands.
Good catch! I don't remember the little mentions of who used hand sanitizer. I sometimes think there is a reason why a minor character is put in the story. That's why I thought of Mr. Sneekers, the lawyer's boyfriend, and even the janitor early in the story. The author did a great job of misdirection.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Though I was fairly sure of who it was, I kept thinking some small character that I'd completely forgotten was going to be Darwin. I always love those face-palm moments, where it's been staring you in the face, obvious as can be, but you miss it anyway :mrgreen2:

I also suspected the doctor, and the boyfriends, and wouldn't have been at all surprised if it had been one of them.

I think it would have been totally twisted if it had wound up being the nurse. I actually thought very early on that Darwin could have been a woman.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Scott wrote:[This is a discussion topic for the March 2016 book of the month Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.]

Were you surprised to find out Darwin's identity? Did you see it coming? If so, at what point?

View Eating Bull on Amazon | View Eating Bull on Bookshelves

Usually I tend to stay away from the mystery genre as a whole because within the first 100 pages or so (sometimes more if the book is long) I figure out whodunit. This book though...WOW. I did not see it coming. Perhaps it was because George had so little description or portion within the story, but it had me guessing all the way through. The way that Rubin described his rituals, workplace...it was shrouded in mystery and wonderfully done. It's very rare that a mystery keeps me guessing all the way to the end, and this was done so beautifully. Definitely impressed. Once I read the story all the way through I actually went back and could piece little clues together but for the most part I honestly kept thinking it was someone else. I'm still in shock - I want to reread it now that I've analyzed it properly. :techie-studyingbrown:

-- 07 Mar 2016, 21:13 --
KAV wrote:I was shocked. I completely thought it was the doctor (Mr. Sneekers) or Connie's old boyfriend (Rex). I kept focusing on the hand sanitizer comments. Both of those characters kept using it, but there was no mention of George ever washing his hands.
Wow I didn't even think about the hand sanitizer but now that you mention it that was a huge theme throughout the story - great catch! I personally thought it might have been Gloria, the Dr.'s assistant from the beginning, for the longest time, regardless of gender.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html

Post by KAV »

bookowlie wrote:
Good catch! I don't remember the little mentions of who used hand sanitizer. I sometimes think there is a reason why a minor character is put in the story. That's why I thought of Mr. Sneekers, the lawyer's boyfriend, and even the janitor early in the story. The author did a great job of misdirection.
Yes. I was definitely looking at the minor characters for connections. They usually make the best culprits.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”