Is Connie a good mom?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Is Connie a good mom?

Post by bookowlie »

kio wrote:
TeaAndSpooks wrote:I think that deep down, Connie really did care about Jeremy and only hid the truth from him to protect him, however there were a lot of things she did as a mother that really could have been handled better. Parents are humans too, and some people are better at being moms and dads than others. They are imperfect, so it makes sense that she would screw up. That made her really believable as a character to me. So, to answer the question, I am on the fence. I think she has good intentions and TRIES to be a good mother, but in a few cases falls pretty short. Being a single mom is tough, and I think she does try her best.
I agree. It is hard to judge unless you're in that situation and I didn't like her per se, but the truth is, she is a type of mother and who she was fit more realistically for me for this novel.
I totally agree that Connie's parenting style was a good fit within the plot. I also didn't like her, but it's hard to judge if you haven't walked a mile in that person's shoes. It's like criticizing a mom for yelling at her child in public if you have no idea what the backstory is.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I think she was doing her best. She was under a lot of pressure financially and working multiple jobs at a time to provide for her family. I think she really cared for Jeremy and wanted the best for him, that is why she kept jeremy's father a secret.
whether she could have done things a bit differently had she been given a chance, i think yes but well she was human and that is what made her relate-able.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Another thing to take into account is her own parents. We saw what kind of father she had.
Children always pay for the "sins" of their parents.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It is true that parents have quite the lasting impact on their children, both good and bad, by their actions and behavior. I think that parents need to remember that everything they do has some form of impact on their child and that their child is literally learning how to act and react based on what they see from mom and dad every day. It is a big responsibility that cannot be run away from unless you physically run away; but that still teaches them too, doesn't it?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think Connie was an okay mom I mean she wasn't the best mom in the world and sometimes it seemed like she wasn't even trying but at the end I guess she did the best she thought she could do but there was always room for a lot of improvement.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

gali wrote:I think she wasn't a good mother at first, because she neglected Jeremy and wasn't aware of his troubles at school. She was too busy with her own life to take care of him properly. She improved though as the story progressed ,and did her best for him.

Agreed

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

She should have paid better attention to her child, but I also know not to judge people. Ultimately, I think she was doing her best but struggling.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Even though I would say it’s not my place to judge any parent, I still kept thinking throughout the book that Connie was partially responsible for Jeremy’s issues. I mean I understand she needs to work and doesn’t always have time to cook. However there has to be better places to get food, or you can make up food in bulk when you do have the time and freeze it. Lots of different types of food can be frozen. She also continuously dates a man that made fun of Jeremy and allowed her father to make fun of him. She never tried to know what was going on a school or that he had a secret stash of food in his backpack. She’s not necessarily the worst mother, but there are a lot of areas where she could have done better in my opinion.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”