Connie's Lie

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Re: Connie's Lie

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

Sarah G wrote:I had a feeling that she had also latched onto the lie herself as she seemed to have such a detailed story. Maybe living through that lie made the past for her a bit more bearable as she felt ashamed of who she had been with.
Good point! I think in a lot of cases, the more often you tell a lie, the more you believe it yourself. And that of course has its own dangers. But I can totally see how Connie might have latched onto the story as a way to cope with her life. The lie was probably much easier to bear than the truth.
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
iluvmusicmana
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iluvmusicmana.html

Post by iluvmusicmana »

In my own personal situation I know it wouldn't bother me to find out my biological was dead or alive simply because he and I have never had a relationship anyways. However, not everyone feels the same way about this. Therefore, it would be better for her, especially for her own relationship with her son, to tell the truth that either he was dead now or was alive (if she lied about him being dead when he was not). Lying is unavoidable, as we are human, but intentionally going about it just to avoid a sensitive topic or deeper discussion is just wrong. She should have told him the truth and let it be what it is. Now she has probably hurt their relationship and he has every right to be upset about it.
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

Parenting is hard, but I disagree with Connie's lie about Jeremy's father. Although it would be more difficult to explain and field the questions from Jeremy, I believe he should have been told the truth in a way a child could comprehend. I believe Jeremy's reaction was entirely appropriate for a teenager.
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I could see myself doing what Connie did, becwuse she truly thought it would be better for her to lie. If I were a mother, I would do whatever I thought was best for my child. I agree with her decision, too; she had every right to believe Jeremy was better off not knowing about his father, since Connie hardly knew him and then he went to jail. I can, however, understand Jeremy's reaction. As a mother, I would have kept this secret, but as a child I would have wanted to know. It's a very delicate situation.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Seriously, that is huge. I think that Connie was very wrong for doing that. I would have been crushed to find that out!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Honestly, I think I would have just told the truth when he was old enough to handle it. It doesn’t make him any less loved by his mom. I can understand Jeremy’s hurt thought by the lie. I don’t know. It’s a compliment situation.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”