Darwin

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Darwin

Post by Scott »

[This is a discussion topic for the March 2016 book of the month Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.]

Darwin. What a character. Well, that’s not a question. So here is one: What do you think of Darwin? Do you think he made a good villain?

View Eating Bull on Amazon | View Eating Bull on Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

He made an interesting villain. The OCD, and his thing for puzzles? Very interesting, indeed.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Darwin made a great villain. I didn't like him, obviously, but thought his story was the more interesting one.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I thought Darwin was interesting. His severe OCD, his thing for puzzles, his feelings about killing made for an interesting character. He scared the snot out of me, but he was still interesting.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

It always surprises me how much I like the villains in books (not like 'ooo i loooove darwin, hes wonderful!' but like 'wow, that is a good character. he is actually pretty believable and his motives make sense for his psyche's condition'). This one was really well written, and the little quirks the author gave him made him more human. He was twisted, compulsive, constantly talking to his inner voice. I found him fascinating. (albeit pretty nasty)
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

He was crazy, but in a believable way. If this book were a movie, I think I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off him. All of his quirks made him such an interesting character - the puzzles, the OCD hand-washing, the painful self-punishments.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I liked Darwin; I really wanted to learn more about his past and enjoy more of his psychosis. The fact that he was just an average crazy that did make mistakes and actually failed in a killing made him more credible. He was definitely fun.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

He is hateful, which, I think makes a good villain. He is one interesting character and, well.. scary.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

When Darwin went to get his preferred glue for his puzzle at the craft store, I was so creeped out when the person in the motorized scooter knocked him down and was so rude to him. I thought to myself about all the strangers I walk past in stores - maybe there is a murderer among them?!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

bookowlie wrote:When Darwin went to get his preferred glue for his puzzle at the craft store, I was so creeped out when the person in the motorized scooter knocked him down and was so rude to him. I thought to myself about all the strangers I walk past in stores - maybe there is a murderer among them?!
:lol:
Read enough about psycho killers and that thought will never leave your head :laughing-rolling:

Seriously :o

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

:)
I think I would wind up sleeping with one eye open.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I often wonder just how many people I encounter are one fender bender or stolen parking space or accidental shoulder bump away from just snapping. I thought the creepiest part of Darwin's tirades was when he flipped out at MFB over the treadmill. I've seen scenarios like that occur, and I wonder how many people have a double shot of homicidal maniac in their veins on a regular basis.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Most antagonists in a good book are very interesting characters. In fact, some of them are more interesting than the protagonists because they definitely have something to say. Darwin is not an exclusion. He had phobia and his so-called relationship with his phobia was very well executed to the readers. I don't like him for what he was doing but as a character he is very believable.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Scott wrote:[This is a discussion topic for the March 2016 book of the month Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.]

Darwin. What a character. Well, that’s not a question. So here is one: What do you think of Darwin? Do you think he made a good villain?

View Eating Bull on Amazon | View Eating Bull on Bookshelves

I think he made an outstanding villain! And unlike other villains he actually had a cause to drive his insanity even farther. His psyche was deep and nigh unforgettable. His "discipline" was scary enough to give the reader a sense of discomfort without scaring them away. Not only that, but he went to extreme lengths to actually prove his point. He didn't just go and kill his main target - he actually made himself work up to that point. That was an interesting little feature that most serial killers in novels tend to leave out. You know the M.O. and the target but not necessarily the work that goes into it. This guy planned. It was premeditated, it was for a cause, it was earned to an extent. He was just perfect.

Honestly I found Darwin's portions the most interesting to read. I am fascinated by serial killers and their messed up psychology but this was just too great not to pass up. Every time I read a "Darwin portion" I felt like I was doing a case study of this guy and trying to get into his head. He had so many metaphors and beliefs and problems and just...everything about him oozed into the novel.

Not only was he interesting as a fictional character, but he was also realistic. That was freaking scary! You see murderers on T.V. all the time and don't really think twice, but the more you read about Darwin and his cause and his problems the more connections you could make to a real life killer. The distinctions of most serial killers are mental illness, problems (whether psychologically or mentally abusive) stemming from home, the feeling that no one listens to you, and compulsions or revulsions to a certain item or person that initiate a killing. Darwin had all of these little distinctions and to see Rubin write them so eloquently, so that you believed he was coming to get you, was just incredible. Well done. :tiphat:
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Darwin did make a good villain, but I'm afraid that his character reinforced negative stereotypes of the mentally ill. People who exhibit symptoms such as his are typically victims, not aggressors. :cry:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”