Darwin

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
jott_2009
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jott-2009.html

Re: Darwin

Post by jott_2009 »

Darwin is a very good villain. He would make a good character for one of the csi or criminal minds episodes. He
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I think Darwin was probably one of the most interesting characters in the book. His obsessive issues with control and slow submission to his inner Voice made him an excellent villain. The gradual deterioration of his mind made him seem much more believable.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Darwin was a very interesting villain. I hated him, of course, but was really intrigued by his OCD and quirks. I wanted more details of his childhood and what made him turn out the way he did. I wanted to learn more about him, but at the same time, when I read about him I got really creeped out. Crazy, right??
The_Venturas
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-venturas.html

Post by The_Venturas »

He is really interesting.
Whenever i saw the book, darwin always comes to mind, no matter how hard i tried to forget him.
Cozy_Rozy
Currently Reading: The Tipping Point
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Cozy_Rozy »

I agree, Darwin made a great villain. He was very interesting and intense. It was exciting to see his story unfold and learn about his past. I loved when we saw into his life as he dealt with his OCD ticks and some other very serious mental issues. However, this character does further perpetuate the stigma people with mental health disorders have to suffer with. A person who struggles with mental health feels isolated, lonely, unwanted and worthless. I think we would be amazed to know exactly how many people walking past us deal with similar issues. Unfortunately, those who suffer read this and hear comments that he is despicable they themselves feel despicable and do not seek help; fearing the contempt of others. Darwin had amazing strength both physically and mentally. He was very passionate and ambitious. If he was a real person imagine the amazing things he could have done with his life if he had help. I believe the things that make us "crazy" can be the things that make us strong.

-- 12 Mar 2016, 18:28 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:Darwin did make a good villain, but I'm afraid that his character reinforced negative stereotypes of the mentally ill. People who exhibit symptoms such as his are typically victims, not aggressors. :cry:
Thank you!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Darwin did make a good villain, but I'm afraid that his character reinforced negative stereotypes of the mentally ill. People who exhibit symptoms such as his are typically victims, not aggressors. :cry:
I agree he made an excellent villain, terrifying, yes, but interesting. However, I also agree that people who have his symptoms are usually victims. He was a victim, especially as a child, but even as an adult since The Voice told him things he should and should not do. Unfortunately, no one saw the signs and no one helped him so he ended up being aggressive, which easily can happen in real life. :(
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

He made a good villain in that you could see why he had the issues he did and you could understand his reasoning well. It kind of made him believable in a weird and worrying way :P
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Sarah G wrote:He made a good villain in that you could see why he had the issues he did and you could understand his reasoning well. It kind of made him believable in a weird and worrying way :P
I agree that he was a very believable character. It gave me the chills and made me realize that there are people like this walking around in real life. He felt more realistic (although in a creepy way) than Sue, Connie, or the grandfather. It didn't seem realistic that a grandfather would constantly bully their own grandson.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

bookowlie wrote:
Sarah G wrote:He made a good villain in that you could see why he had the issues he did and you could understand his reasoning well. It kind of made him believable in a weird and worrying way :P
I agree that he was a very believable character. It gave me the chills and made me realize that there are people like this walking around in real life. He felt more realistic (although in a creepy way) than Sue, Connie, or the grandfather. It didn't seem realistic that a grandfather would constantly bully their own grandson.
Yeh I thought the same about the grandad. He came across as too agressive. Even when Jeremy was trying to lose weight he still was just as confrontational
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

The portrayal of Darwin was superb, especially since I couldn't guess who he really was within this story. He was easily one of the creepiest characters I have read in a book!
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Darwin was a great villain and a superbly created character. I was intrigued by him and his obsessive behavior.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Darwin was an amazing character. I loved how he complemented Jeremy. Jeremy was obese and sedentary, and not very disciplined, which was the total opposite of Darwin. Jeremy was everything Darwin was terrified of, which made Darwin the perfect villain and also victim. I felt sorry for him, as he was clearly mentally ill and not in control of his actions. The fact that he tried multiple times to rebel against the voice and do the right thing, even through his warped perception and knowing that it would cause him pain, made me more sympathetic to him than I might otherwise have been. I thought that he was one of the most interesting characters I've come across in quite a while.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I think Darwin made a great villain. His story was my favorite part of the book. He also brought the mental health issue to the book, and while some may say his character bathed mental illness in a negative light, I'd have to disagree. I think if anything it'd make a reader realize that they need to be more aware of the people around them. Darwin wasn't always a villain; at one point he was a mentally ill man who simply needed help, and because he had no one to notice and he himself didn't realize, he didn't get that help. This makes it easy to pity him, almost. Though he was a villain, he was a tragic villain, which makes him even more interesting than he already was.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

MatthewAlexander wrote:I think Darwin made a great villain. His story was my favorite part of the book. He also brought the mental health issue to the book, and while some may say his character bathed mental illness in a negative light, I'd have to disagree. I think if anything it'd make a reader realize that they need to be more aware of the people around them. Darwin wasn't always a villain; at one point he was a mentally ill man who simply needed help, and because he had no one to notice and he himself didn't realize, he didn't get that help. This makes it easy to pity him, almost. Though he was a villain, he was a tragic villain, which makes him even more interesting than he already was.
Well said. It's so true that, at the core, Darwin was mentally ill rather than just someone who hated a particular person they had prior dealings with, such as a boss who fired him.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Momlovesbooks wrote:Darwin was a very interesting villain. I hated him, of course, but was really intrigued by his OCD and quirks. I wanted more details of his childhood and what made him turn out the way he did. I wanted to learn more about him, but at the same time, when I read about him I got really creeped out. Crazy, right??

Excellent :lol:
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”