Was the book too gruesome or just gruesome enough?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Was the book too gruesome or just gruesome enough?

Post by Scott »

[This is a discussion topic for the March 2016 book of the month Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.]

Many parts of the book were relatively gruesome. Did this bother you? Would you have preferred the book be less gruesome or not?

View Eating Bull on Amazon | View Eating Bull on Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I routinely read much worse, so no, I wasn't bothered.

It also seemed that it was the correct amount of gruesome when it needed to be, not overdone, nor under. At least to me.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read worse too. Some scenes were gruesome, but as Gravy said they weren't overdone.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I have read worse. I thought it was just gruesome enough that they got the point across. The scenes not overdone at all.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

Personally, I liked the level of gross this thriller contained. It made it more real to me. I don't mind reading/seeing gore, but I do mind hearing it (I cant do Saw or Jaws because the screaming gives me nightmares...)
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I have definitely read worse. I agree with Kaitlyn that the graphic scenes were described with just enough detail, nothing more. I also think that having Darwin methodically commit the murders with a calm precision, as opposed to being rage-filled, made those scenes less gruesome.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

It wasn't too gruesome for me. I knew that the book involved a murderer when I began reading, so I expected a certain amount of gore. In fact, I was more disturbed by the treadmill murder than any of the ones involving a blade!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

LivreAmour217 wrote:It wasn't too gruesome for me. I knew that the book involved a murderer when I began reading, so I expected a certain amount of gore. In fact, I was more disturbed by the treadmill murder than any of the ones involving a blade!
I totally agree that the treadmill murder was more horrifying than the other ones. I think it's because the woman was kept alive for a time and forced to do things that killed her. The other people died quickly, even though the scenes were graphic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote: I totally agree that the treadmill murder was more horrifying than the other ones. I think it's because the woman was kept alive for a time and forced to do things that killed her. The other people died quickly, even though the scenes were graphic.
That's exactly why it creeped me out! That poor woman was tortured before she died, whereas Darwin killed the others quickly.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
bookowlie wrote: I totally agree that the treadmill murder was more horrifying than the other ones. I think it's because the woman was kept alive for a time and forced to do things that killed her. The other people died quickly, even though the scenes were graphic.
That's exactly why it creeped me out! That poor woman was tortured before she died, whereas Darwin killed the others quickly.
This scene creeped me out as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

LivreAmour217 wrote:It wasn't too gruesome for me. I knew that the book involved a murderer when I began reading, so I expected a certain amount of gore. In fact, I was more disturbed by the treadmill murder than any of the ones involving a blade!
I completely agree. The treadmill murder was probably the worst one for me. However, as a whole, I think the book wasn't as gruesome as some of the others I have read. I actually had expected it to be a little worse, to be honest. It definitely could've been more gruesome, but I'm glad it wasn't more so.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

I felt like the gruesome level was appropriate. We are talking about a murder here. It is supposed to be at least a little uncomfortable to read about. If it were any less, than I feel like it wouldn't have portrayed the killer's true feelings or motives. Although, the treadmill scene was a little creepy, I felt like that scene was also needed in the story. It showed that the killer didn't need to kill his victims with a knife, and he had control over his victims even until death occurred.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I have also read much worse. Reading gruesome stories doesn't seem to bother me. Watching the same thing on TV or a movie would probably leave me unable to sleep. Maybe with a book I am able to separate myself from the story more easily when necessary.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

I hate to say it because I know I sound like a total creep but I enjoyed the gore throughout the novel. I routinely read much more gory and tortuous work (in fact I research torture on a daily basis, God knows why), so this was actually pretty tame for me. The deaths seemed to be pretty quick, though a bit graphic in nature. I must say the killings were actually relatively original, especially the treadmill murder. It seemed so innocent/original, yet was so gruesome due to the fact that MFB was actually somewhat tortured before her untimely demise. I actually wished it had been a bit more gruesome...but I like the fact that Rubin actually kept the gore levels realistic to Darwin's psychoses and nature. All in all, it really didn't bother me.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I am not a fan of gruesome things, and yet I have read--and probably will continue to read--books that have gruesome moments. If the author does a good job and only uses what must be used to make the story, then I won't complain. And I agree--Rubin did a good job.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”