Is it Jeremy's fault he is so obese?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Is it Jeremy's fault he is so obese?

Post by Simmons32 »

Not entirely. He does have a choice in what he eats, but I also think parents play a huge role in what their children eat. Connie sadly did not help the situation. I know she works late but there has to be places to get healthier food. She could have also made up food when she was at home and froze it. There are ways to be creative on a busy schedule. I don’t believe you automatically have to go for the junk food.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Rum Runner by Peter J. Barnett & Andrew B. Koski

Post by Laney K »

bookowlie wrote: 14 Mar 2016, 13:20 I still think Connie is the main culprit. A teenager (Jeremy) is not the one bringing home the groceries or, for the most part, preparing meals. Connie just kept grabbing fast food or high-calorie, greasy leftovers from where she worked.

Cozy Rozy (welcome to the forums!) - I agree with you that there is an emotional component to Jeremy's overeating, but it would have been easier for him to lose weight if his mom had healthier meal choices in the house.
I agree that Connie is definitely a main reason. As the parent, she is the one setting the example for Jeremy.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Rum Runner by Peter J. Barnett & Andrew B. Koski

Post by Laney K »

I don't think Jeremy is entirely to blame. He had a bad example set by his mother. Food can also be addictive so that doesn't help. But there is always choice so he's not entirely in the clear.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

A lot of obese people got bad eating habits from their family. I'd even go as far as to say advertising shares some of the blame. You turn on the TV and see mouthwatering commercials of pizza. While I wouldn't go as far as to argue individuals have no responsibility, I think we underestimate how influenced we are by others and by media.
Allison Mann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-mann.html
Latest Review: Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin

Post by Allison Mann »

I believe Connie is at fault, but Jeremy also plays a huge role. The food made for him at home is not his fault. He is only a teenager. However, on his way home, he stops for junk food and fast food daily. These decisions keep him from losing weight.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”