Banning sugary or unhealthy foods for children?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Banning sugary or unhealthy foods for children?

Post by Mailis »

I think unnecessary and hidden sugars should be banned, there should be a middle road to take with the issue and first step could be legislation that encourages and helps manufacturers and sellers bring forward more healthy options, by giving tax breaks and demanding more transparency to the food preparing process.
After all even God has supposedly trusted people with their own free will. Just banning everything left and right is not always the most successful solution.
Molly May
Currently Reading: Professor P and the Jurassic Coast
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molly-may.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Molly May »

Gravy wrote: 03 Mar 2016, 15:17 I think banning them would make them more alluring, and could lead to even more problems, but I think it would be a large improvement if stores stopped inundating shoppers with unhealthy foods at checkouts.

That was never even brought up in the book.

Fast food joints, and convenience stores are problematic, but even pharmacies are sugar pushers when it comes to checkouts.
I completely agree with this!
Rather than banning, it is important to self-regulate and have an awareness of why it is important to cut down on sugary food. Just cutting it out because there is a rule against it, definitely makes it more attractive and encourages an "I want it but I can't have it" mentality. By not banning things, and choosing healthier options, this becomes "I can have it but I don't want it".

Super markets are irresponsible too by placing offers on sugary food, such as "buy one get one free" or "2 for £3". This makes people buy more than they need because they are getting a good deal. :cry:
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I think there definitely needs to be more regulation as far as sugar and unhealthy food availability for kids. If you start eating sugary things when you're younger it's going to be a lifelong habit. If you eat healthier things when you're younger that could lead to a healthier longer life.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I don't think there should be any need to ban sugary or unhealthy foods for children. I think that children should just be children and part of their childhood is eating sugary foods. The only thing we can do is regulate how much they take.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

Banning substances has not always had an impact on the actual usage. Food choices need to be taught, not banned.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I don't think banning will make much difference. Instead of teaching them what they shouldn't eat, children should trained what they need to eat.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

Although I think children should eat healthy food I don't think that banning sugary or unhealthy food will help. I think its ok to eat them but only in moderation.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

A ban would not feel right - where would it end? However, I do think it would be sensible to take steps to help avoid the obvious temptation eg sweet vending machines in schools.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I would not ban sugary foods, but I would force the food industry to add less sugar to their products. Often, processed food contains much more sugar than necessary. On the other hand, education on healthy eating habits needs to be more prominent.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it would be wise to limit sugar in large quantities in some way in baby food or the food that children consume most often.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I think banning all sugary and unhealthy food seems a little extreme. But I do agree that healthy eating habits are important.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

That might be taking it a little too far. We do actually need sugar in our bodies, it’s just a matter of how much of it we have from day to day. What I do think needs to happen is that fast food restaurants need to use better ingredients and offer healthier options. It’s not necessary to make food so addictive that we feel the need to keep going back for more or getting seconds or thirds. That’s where they get greedy, because they just want people to keep buying and buying and buying.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

No, I would not want sugary foods to be banned for children. My personal opinion as a parent is that it is my responsibility to limit the sugar my daughter has. Her school already ensures that if the kids get sugary presents, say a cupcake or sweets for someone’s birthday, they do not let the kids have these at school, they actually let the kids take these home and parents decide whether the kids should have the food or not. I love this approach. For me, these foods in moderation (I never keep any at home) are great cheap rewards when kids do well. But of course there are limits. I don’t keep soda or sweets in our house for instance.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Rum Runner by Peter J. Barnett & Andrew B. Koski

Post by Laney K »

I definitely think that banning sugary foods is never going to happen. Foundations for good eating habits pretty much has to come from parents because society isn't going to be able to change that drastically.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”