Banning sugary or unhealthy foods for children?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Re: Banning sugary or unhealthy foods for children?

Post by katiesquilts »

afrakes wrote: katiesquilts - you raise an interesting point. Areas where people can't buy proper, nutritious foods are called "food deserts," and they're a very real problem! However, instead of accepting it as is, I have seen and read about communities implementing community food gardens. Through grants, communities can plant enough fruits and vegetables to feed their families for months and, with a little hard work, years. This goes back to the old saying, "Catch a fish for a man and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat all his life." It's a great skill for children, and a great opportunity to provide growing bodies with the proper fuel.
I've heard about and seen some community gardens, but I always think that there's no way they can provide equally for an entire community. Also, I can imagine people trashing the gardens if they aren't secured at night... There's just an endless cycle of problems, isn't there?
afrakes
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrakes.html

Post by afrakes »

katiesquilts wrote:
afrakes wrote: katiesquilts - you raise an interesting point. Areas where people can't buy proper, nutritious foods are called "food deserts," and they're a very real problem! However, instead of accepting it as is, I have seen and read about communities implementing community food gardens. Through grants, communities can plant enough fruits and vegetables to feed their families for months and, with a little hard work, years. This goes back to the old saying, "Catch a fish for a man and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat all his life." It's a great skill for children, and a great opportunity to provide growing bodies with the proper fuel.
I've heard about and seen some community gardens, but I always think that there's no way they can provide equally for an entire community. Also, I can imagine people trashing the gardens if they aren't secured at night... There's just an endless cycle of problems, isn't there?
Yes, there are always inevitable stumbling blocks, but I think it's a step in the right direction. :D In my experience, community gardens have given many neighborhoods a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work, and little "trashing" has occurred. While trashing will probably inevitably occur, it's not to say convenience stores don't get robbed too! There's sadly no perfect solution.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I feel like banning would cause more of a problem. I mean look at what happens when people turn 21. They go out and binge drink because they weren't allowed to drink before. I feel like the same think would happen if we banned children from eating sugary or unhealthy foods. I think it's better to teach kids to be disciplined in how they consume these types of foods. Teach them that it is okay to enjoy them once in a while, just not all of the time.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

'Banning' would be going a bit over the top, wouldn't it?

I mean, many children love fried and sugary foods. Banning them would remove some of the 'fun' in their childhood. In many schools, lots of fried, oily and sugary food are sold and I do remember some of my friends going hyper from drinking too much sugary drinks that they bought at school. Drinking too much sugar would certainly do no good to children, but getting rid of them completely isn't a very good option as well. Keeping everything moderate is probably the best idea. (not saying that you should drink the same number of cans of soda as the amount of food you eat)
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I don't usually let my son have soda, and I definitely limit his intake of sugar. We recently registered him for kindergarten (tear) and they told us that they have a "treat day" on Fridays where they will allow the children to purchase soda or candy. I'm not too sure how I feel about this. It's obviously good motivation for the children to behave well, since they are only allowed to do this if they have been on their best behavior all week, but I do wish they had something a little less in sugar offered.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I don't think it's necessary to ban all sugary or unhealthy foods for children but certain steps must be taken to make sure children are eating healthier. For example, places like schools and daycares should not provide children with sugary/unhealthy foods. While I understand the occasional candy, it is another matter to serve unhealthy foods for lunch at the cafeteria. People must also be educated.
My weekend is all booked!
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

Why should the government get involved? How exactly would they help? They want us to eat unhealthy foods. After having my son, I went crazy trying to keep anything non-organic, non-GMO out of his mouth. Which was actually a good thing because he inherited a lot of my sensitivities. As a parent, it is our responsibility to make sure that our children are eating correctly. We should take an active stand against things that could harm our children. Sugar (especially processed sugar), is addictive. Soda is addictive. Processed foods are addictive. If you don't believe me, try not eating anything processed or prepackaged for three weeks.
Even though I was raised with home cooked meals nearly every night of my childhood, what little processed food I did have caused me to struggle as an adult. I had to choose not to eat those foods and educate myself on what they really did to my body (not what everyone knows they do, but what most don't know). It makes me wonder, How can a child make such healthy choices?
What are "healthy" eating choices?
I ate "healthily" for years, but I was hypoglycemic. If I didn't have something with sugar in it nearby, then I would get weak, shaky, irritable, panicky and nearly pass out. I hated my mood swings that came with my "health issue". I had to keep soda and candy bars on hand just in case I "went low". It was really messing with my life. I lived my life around my hypoglycemia. If I got upset, I would freak and rush to the nearest store for a soda. If I got overheated, soda. I was told I would have to live like this for the rest of my life, but if I didn't figure out a way to control it, it could flip and become diabetes. My sister has diabetes and it runs her life. I didn't want that, so I started researching. I found out I didn't have a "health issue", I had a sugar dependency. I switched to a fully raw diet and "cured" my "health issue". Going raw taught me a lot about my previous "healthy" eating habits. I changed my son's diet as well and was amazed at the change in his behavior. It took commitment and a lot of time but it was worth it. It also taught me that telling a child not to eat a certain way is not nearly enough. We have show them how to eat, educate them to make truly healthy choices.
They are constantly being bombarded with unhealthy eating choices, advertising campaigns that are targeting them, pressuring them to eat a certain way. Instead of trusting the government to make the changes we need for a healthier future for our children and their's, we should be the ones making the changes.
Remove processed foods from our schools, educate ourselves and then our children on the dangers of eating unhealthily, and demand that certain advertising be censored.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Banning sugar? Hmmm. There is so much poison mixed in with the processed foods that have sugar in it, the product should be banned. You know, like Twinkies, Doritos, and most definitely coke. Sugar cane, if not processed, is a healthy food if eaten in moderate amounts. Sugar is only one of the issues with the food children consume. Our problem not only is the sugar, but also the unnecessary poisonous additives laced in with the now genetically modified food. The food is so processed that any nutrients that it may have had has been totally annihilated. Ban the products. Ban the propaganda. Teach healthy choices. An added thought; if Americans ate honey the way they ate sugar the result would be similar.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sugary and unhealthy food are so common these days that it would be almost impossible to ban them. Also, there's that rebellious nature in some children - if something is banned, they need to have it. I wonder if that's a possible cause of addiction. Something was banned till a particular age and when someone crosses that age limit, they feel a sense of freedom and they feel the need to try it?
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Well, banning does sound good, but I don't think it will have very good consequences. Some children are unable to 'function' without their helping of sugary foods from the canteen. In one of the books from Diary of A Wimpy Kid, I remember that there was an entry where the school banned a brand of sugary drink and some of the kids were unable to pay attention in class as they did not have their 'supply of sugar'. In the end, some kids even 'smuggled' the drink to school. Yes, it is just a story, but perhaps that could potentially happen. (the part about kids being unable to pay attention in class) Maybe banning is exaggerating it a little too much. Indeed, like others have mentioned, education is definitely one of the solutions. Schools could reduce sugary drinks sold in school but the government shouldn't ban sugary drinks and unhealthy foods completely.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I don't think it should be banned but I do think it should be regulated. I think we should treat sugary foods as treats and should be given to kids as a treat for doing something right or good. I think that unhealthy food should be eaten in moderation with parents or guardians enforcing their kids to eat healthier foods.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by Lolly_Reader »

It's sad that so many human parents haven't the instincts to feed their children on healthy food, as other animals do. Refined sugar is addictive and destructive of health: why bother having children if you're just going to poison them?
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I am all for healthy eating, avoiding sugar (especially for kids) and junk food. I grew up in the 70s, when such notions were alien to us. Heck, I grew up in a country where due to lack of things at the supermarket my mom used to give us slices of bread with sugar on them to help us satisfy our craving. Sure we loved them back in the day, but now ... my teeth, my stomach and overall health are not all too pleased.
pupadie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pupadie »

In as much as children like sweet and sugary foods, which I consider to be unhealthy, banning them outright may not be the right thing to do, but parents and grown ups would do these children some good if they educate them on how to consume sugary foods in moderation and clean their teeth immediately after chewing sugary snacks like candies and sweets. Parents should also warn children that sugary or unhealthy foods could make them fall sick and even become obese.Moderation is the answer and not total ban, after all they are children, they will grow UP some day to identify GOOD and BAD.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I think that putting a ban on unhealthy food, whilst with good intentions, is too much of an aggressive approach. People will feel like their freedom of choice is being taken away from them. What our government does where I'm from is to heavily tax fast food joints and sugar producers. This causes consumers to bear the brunt of the cost (ie. through more expensive items) and it discourages consumption. I'm not all for that method either because producers lose out this way and it could lead to cost-push inflation.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”