The Dr. Sneekers and the Glorias of the world...

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Re: The Dr. Sneekers and the Glorias of the world...

Post by bluemel4 »

Momlovesbooks wrote: In an ER environment, the doctors and nurses are unable to spend the time necessary to get to the root of the problem.
I agree with @Momlovesbooks and others that it is difficult in an ER environment not to be frustrated with a young man like Jeremy. He used the ER so frequently he saw the same doctor/ nurse combination. That rarely happens unless you are a frequent visitor. He did not have a primary physician until after he started going to the heath clinic. Add to that the sheer volume of people seen on a regular basis in an ER and the short amount of time the doctor has to speak with the patient, it makes sense that Gloria and Dr. Sneeker would not be as empathetic towards him as his primary care physician. Plus going to the ER is a nerve wrecking experience in general.

I did feel bad for Jeremy. I wished the entire time he was being fat shamed that he could have stood up for himself. Even if his mother had said something it would have made the situation less hurtful for Jeremy.

I also found it odd that no one made the connection between his emotional triggers and asthma/ overeating. Then again, Jeremy did not really open up and share his negative experiences with others.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Veda
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veda.html
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones

Post by Veda »

Momlovesbooks wrote:I believe that someone who has never had to deal with certain issues, can't fully relate to the person having to go through it. In an ER environment, the doctors and nurses are unable to spend the time necessary to get to the root of the problem.
I totally agree, my brother was overweight most of his childhood, and my mother used to cook us healthy home made food but my brother would often go to his friends house to eat candy, pizza ,and other junk food because it was not allowed at our house. He used to be made fun of a lot and would be hurt and angry when people made fun of him or made a comment about his weight. No one bothered to find out why he was eating junk food. It came back to emotional eating and doing what his peers were doing. As a teenager, he changed, started working out and is now lean and fit but that was a personal choice that he made.
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

TeaAndSpooks wrote:No, I do not think that the majorities of nurses and doctors can totally relate to their patients, especially in this instance. Losing weight isn't easy, and for some reason people in the medical field seem to think its just dieting and exercise. Emotional trauma, stress, anxiety, depression and environment all plays a HUGE role in a person's overall health (I speak from experience. I was heavily abused a few years ago and I put on 50 pounds because of it. It has been a huge fight to try to lose it...)

I relate with Jeremy on that level. It's not easy. And the fact that most (at least, all the doctors that I have met and seen) doctors think it is makes it even harder and more discouraging.

I agree with you, and I can relate to this. In my experience, doctors simply view it as another case and can't relate or empathize at all.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

bluemel4 wrote:I agree with @Momlovesbooks and others that it is difficult in an ER environment not to be frustrated with a young man like Jeremy. He used the ER so frequently he saw the same doctor/ nurse combination. That rarely happens unless you are a frequent visitor. He did not have a primary physician until after he started going to the heath clinic.
Sadly, that's due a lot to the health care system. The amount of people who can't afford basic coverage is ridiculous.
But I do have to interject that he was in a lot for his asthma, which happens regardless of primary care, or weight.
Yes, his weight exacerbated his asthma, but I doubt it caused it. If the author meant for his weight to have brought about his asthma, than I think the mark was missed :?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Gravy wrote:What I thought was odd about the interaction with these doctors was the fact that Jeremy seemed to suffer a lot from emotionally triggered asthma, and while that would still be negatively impacted by his weight, it would happen regardless, and I felt that they (including the fat slayers) should have noted it. If for no other reason than to show that being bullied can hurt more than just what is physically/emotionally done.

I also thought it was clever that his asthma was triggered by stress/emotion, because a lot of people don't realize it can be.

Very good I felt the same way as I read the story.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I do believe that most can emphasize and be sympathetic, but not everyone is going to be able to relate. It’s not their fault if they don’t struggle with the same issue, but it’s not as simple as just saying you need to do this or that. There needs to be motivation too. If a person doesn’t feel motivated to make healthier choices, then it’s not going to happen.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”