Overall opinion and recommendation?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
k8gladstone
Currently Reading: Hunt the Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k8gladstone.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Overall opinion and recommendation?

Post by k8gladstone »

I wasn't a huge fan of the book honestly. I did like the authors' writing style, but the book was rather slow paced and I didn't find the characters very intriguing. I liked the message the book had about the obesity epidemic and I found it interesting how Darwin struggled with his own mission when he saw people trying to better themselves but I had to force my way through this novel
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I wasn't expecting to like this book, but it was actually really interesting. It was well written and it kept me guessing until the end. I liked that there were so many possibilities for who Darwin could be, and the way it covered all the bases when it came to eating disorders, from anorexic tendencies to over-exercise to eating for comfort. It covered all the bases for me as it actually provided accurate information about the obesity epidemic and our society's relationship with food, was an interesting fast-paced thriller, and explored cultural identity. The theme of parenting was also interesting in the way Rubin contrasted multiple different parenting styles and what influenced them, showing how it impacted on their children.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

The title of the book encouraged me to read it. I like the writing style and characters. But some scenes were too gruesome for me. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I like the concept of the book. I do think the food industry does need to come under some fire for making food so addictive. However we do have a choice in what we eat and how much of it we eat. The author was very creative with this storyline. What I didn’t care for was that there was quite a bit of profanity and some scenes were pretty gory. So I am kind of in the middle when it comes to how much I like the book. Whether or not I would recommend it depends on who I am talking to.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”