How authentic is the era?

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

How authentic is the era?

Post by gali »

How authentic is the culture and era represented in the book?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I wondered this myself, but since I have never been to the areas mentioned in this book (and I've certainly never been to the times the story takes place in! haha) I just gave Kristi the benefit of the doubt that she had done her research and knew what she was talking about. :D
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:I wondered this myself, but since I have never been to the areas mentioned in this book (and I've certainly never been to the times the story takes place in! haha) I just gave Kristi the benefit of the doubt that she had done her research and knew what she was talking about. :D
Likewise! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

This is the one part of the country I have never been to. I can't even imagine what a hot, dry place feels like! It's so humid where I am from!
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:This is the one part of the country I have never been to. I can't even imagine what a hot, dry place feels like! It's so humid where I am from!
I have never been there as well. It is humid and hot where I am though. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

At the very least, the culture and era is simplified and exaggerated for the purpose of furthering the drama and plotline of the story. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this story is better viewed as a romance that happens to take place during a previous time than historical fiction that happens to include a love story. The reader gets just enough detail to encourage the imagination and no more.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

L_Therese wrote:At the very least, the culture and era is simplified and exaggerated for the purpose of furthering the drama and plotline of the story. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this story is better viewed as a romance that happens to take place during a previous time than historical fiction that happens to include a love story. The reader gets just enough detail to encourage the imagination and no more.
I agree with you to a certain extent. However, sometimes books that combine too many genres (in this case - romance, historical, fantasy) can wind up with a too-busy plot and an excess of description if all of the genres are explored in too much detail. I think it's a difficult balancing act.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

ALynnPowers wrote:I wondered this myself, but since I have never been to the areas mentioned in this book (and I've certainly never been to the times the story takes place in! haha) I just gave Kristi the benefit of the doubt that she had done her research and knew what she was talking about. :D
I agree. I just assumed that all the information that the author wrote was properly researched and correct.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I always like a historical 'living and breathing' vibe. I also can allow artistic licence such that the book reads well, instead of being just a documentary piece.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

bookowlie wrote:
L_Therese wrote:At the very least, the culture and era is simplified and exaggerated for the purpose of furthering the drama and plotline of the story. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this story is better viewed as a romance that happens to take place during a previous time than historical fiction that happens to include a love story. The reader gets just enough detail to encourage the imagination and no more.
I agree with you to a certain extent. However, sometimes books that combine too many genres (in this case - romance, historical, fantasy) can wind up with a too-busy plot and an excess of description if all of the genres are explored in too much detail. I think it's a difficult balancing act.
Agreed. It is quite difficult to pull off.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I feel that this book pulls in too many elements to accurate depict an era. Even though I am not entirely knowledgeable about it, I will accept its accuracy with a grain of salt
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html

Post by CzechTigg »

What do you mean by too many elements?

Funnily enough I got to see the running man for first time from the beginning, and found it unable to create a future era... More like big 80s glitz with superior technology.

Nit an easy thing transposing time periods.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I meant that the book has a lot to work and develop. The romance has to be believable, especially since they come from such different cultures with-historically- really complicated and tense relations. The differing time periods and their reconciliation are also somethings to be considered. Basically, what I meant is that there's a lot for the author to juggle.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I do think it is over-exaggerated a bit and things were not always so cut and dry, but I only have old western shows to go off of. They are very over-exaggerated and women are always treated like dirt on them, so maybe there is some truth to it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Percarus
Favorite Author: Ricardo Semler
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Percarus »

True that, stories sometimes don't pay much attention to pedantics as that requires a great deal of research, that of which mayhap only a Phd doctorate in history can fully provide. And 'Therese', how can you say you are no expert?!? You apparently read 1667 books in just three years; oh gawd! I hope that has improved your brainpower and imagination... :-)

I remember when I first bought a ten volume set of romance volumes in my first year in university, mainly for show. There certainly is drama in love stories over the most trivial of affairs that indeed are enhanced by a bit of 'fudging' of the culture, era, and mayhap social norms associated with such a setting - most of which would have been lost in time I would gather since historians are not perfect.

1667 books??!?? Seriously? :-P

Return to “"For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill”