The ending - spoilers

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

The ending - spoilers

Post by gali »

What did you think about the ending? After Suzanne got back to her time, she lost track of Cody. It took some time before they got back together. She went to look for him in the desert several times to no avail. After they met, Cody explained what happened to him while they got separated. On the one hand I thought Cody gave a lame excuse as to why he didn't approach her car, but on the other hand it made sort of sense. What are your thoughts about that? Have you found the ending satisfying?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It was a little hard to believe that it took 7 months, after Suzanne going to the dessert twice a week for Cody to catch a glimpse of her. Then, he finally did and was like 'oh, it was you the entire time'. Especially, considering that she would step out of her car and call his name. You would think that would be a clue.

I think he was telling the truth because he is a bit naïve and was already hesitant in coming to Suzanne's time period, but it still seems a bit silly.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I wasn't very thrilled with the end. I thought it seemed a bit odd that it took 7 months considering how often she went to the desert and called out for him. I was happy they did find each other though.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Like the other two said it seemed odd that it took so long for him to find her. It seemed to fall short for me, I think I'm going to read the book over again to see if I missed anything that might she'd better light on the end.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

It's odd that it took so long. That being said, I have read other time travel books where it did take a while for them to rejoin the other person in their time. Maybe it was the time travel aspect that made it be 7 months difference.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I thought it was odd that it took so long for them to find each other. Especially since Suzanne was actively looking for Cody. However, I'm glad it worked out for them in the end.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Paliden wrote:It's odd that it took so long. That being said, I have read other time travel books where it did take a while for them to rejoin the other person in their time. Maybe it was the time travel aspect that made it be 7 months difference.
I didn't think about that in the same place but a different time area or something like that right?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
E_Goodwin
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 922">Harry Potter</a>
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-goodwin.html
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez

Post by E_Goodwin »

I too thought 7 months a bit much. However since I have never traveled through time, I cannot attest to how disorienting it is. I did enjoy the Epilogue.
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Having come from another time, I think I understand Cody's reluctance to come out and get reunited with Suzanne too soon.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I thought that the seven months that he was out in the desert was ridiculous. Especially since Suzanne was actively looking for him and he came to the future for HER, she didn't abduct him. Why hide? Also, what was he doing for those seven months? How was it that no one saw anything? Where was he getting food and shelter?
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I completely agree that it was odd he took so long to come out of hiding. Seven months is a very long time to live off the land and avoid civilization. I was glad that they were brought together and ultimately there was a happy ending.

What I don't get is why in the world would he have left her in labor for the ambulance in the first place? Why didn't he just stay by her side? He seemed able to get over a lot of things that freaked him out. He said he would never leave her. I just didn't get it.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

The ending wasn't what I expected at all. I figured he didn't make it through back to Suzanne's time and she would just have to raise little Cody without him. I did think he gave some pretty crappy excuses as to why he didn't approach her when she drove out to the desert all the time. He knew what her voice sounded like, so why didn't he approach her when she called out for him during those 7 months without him? It just didn't make sense. I did though like the fact that he did make it back with her and that they got married and raised a family together.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

It was quiet lame...that he did not show himself for 7 months but it was good that he made back with her...and it was fun to read how he got to learn all the mordern technologies.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Like many of the people who posted on this thread previously, I didn't care for the explanation of Cody's 7 month delay. I might buy that explanation for a week's delay or maybe two weeks' delay, but 7 months makes uncertainty about modern technologies look a lot like cowardice. The author could have exploited the time travel aspect to explain a delay: Cody lands in another place; Cody gets lost in time streams since Suzanne was on a return trip, but he was merely departing his own time; Cody has no explanation, but he mysteriously awoke only recently out in the desert...
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I really hated that it took him that long to make himself known to her. Why waste that precious time together? There was what seven or eight months that they missed out on it each other. I kind of understand his reasoning. I mean if you think about it he was a little scared of her car and when they return to modern day and the ambulance comes to take Suzanne about I could imagine him being frightened. I just wonder what he did during that time. I am sure he spent a lot of time hunting and surviving on the land. I also wonder how he kept from being seen from any one else all of that time.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie

Return to “"For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill”