Ask the Author - Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Ask the Author - Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

Post by LivreAmour217 »

khudecek wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:
khudecek wrote:
The paranormal aspect of this story is fiction but it was based on something that happened to my grandfather in the Black Hills of South Dakota when he was a child. He and his mother lived on a ranch west of Deadwood and she fell ill in the middle of the night. She needed a doctor. The Black Hills are indeed, black, in the middle of the night. He got on a horse and rode to Deadwood to get the doctor and all the way, there was a light guiding him.

I wanted to keep that in the story and gosh darn the consequences. I believe in miracles and I believe love conquers all.

I hope this answers your question. Thank you for asking. :)
I loved this part of the novel, and I think that it is so cool that you based it on something that actually happened! I have a book of North American folklore, and there is a section about mysterious lights that have guided people. I think that most of the encounters occurred in the Southwest, too. I'll have to grab it off the shelf and look at that chapter again!
I'm happy that you enjoyed that part of the story. Years ago, I wrote a short story about it. It's one of those stories that I never want to forget.

What is the name of the American Folklore book you read? I think I'd like to read it, too.

Thank you for your comment. :)
The book is The Field Guide to North American Monsters by W. Haden Blackman. Now, I have to warn you that this book is probably best suited to teens, but I purchased it out of curiosity a few years ago and have enjoyed it. The book has received some criticism from cryptozoologists, but for the casual reader it is an interesting source of information. Also, the author uses the word monster rather loosely, as some of the creatures and mysterious phenomena (such as the lights) would probably not be considered monsters by most people.

If you do choose to read it, I hope that you enjoy it! :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
khudecek wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:
I loved this part of the novel, and I think that it is so cool that you based it on something that actually happened! I have a book of North American folklore, and there is a section about mysterious lights that have guided people. I think that most of the encounters occurred in the Southwest, too. I'll have to grab it off the shelf and look at that chapter again!
I'm happy that you enjoyed that part of the story. Years ago, I wrote a short story about it. It's one of those stories that I never want to forget.

What is the name of the American Folklore book you read? I think I'd like to read it, too.

Thank you for your comment. :)
The book is The Field Guide to North American Monsters by W. Haden Blackman. Now, I have to warn you that this book is probably best suited to teens, but I purchased it out of curiosity a few years ago and have enjoyed it. The book has received some criticism from cryptozoologists, but for the casual reader it is an interesting source of information. Also, the author uses the word monster rather loosely, as some of the creatures and mysterious phenomena (such as the lights) would probably not be considered monsters by most people.

If you do choose to read it, I hope that you enjoy it! :)
Thank you. I might have to check that out. :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Return to “"For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill”