The Glass Castle ~ Whole Book, Final Discussion

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
salberson 10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Re: The Glass Castle ~ Whole Book, Final Discussion

Post by salberson 10 »

So much love for the novel and the author! -
Love the characters and the depiction of a loving dysfunctional family as well as truly grotesque and despicable family members (uncle and grandmother). Jeanette Walls is gritty and amazing!
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I read this book a long time ago and don't remember a lot of the details but I remember enough. If I was her, I would still feel haunted by past problems. I think her parents were happy and they have a right to be happy, but they also should have taken more responsibility over their kids, especially when the money is there. I liked this book though, it as a different perspective. It was recommended to me by a friend so long ago and I would and have recommended he book to others.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Post by aaa1234 »

The Glass Castle is about her siblings and the poverty they faced. You may or may not like this book.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

The book taps into major issues such as poverty. Anyone can read this book. A very good read.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I found this book completely frustrating and sad. I hated the way the children were treated by their parents - the parents were just incredibly selfish (in my opinion), and more than once I just wanted to scream "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" It made me appreciate all of the good in my life, while simultaneously making me feel like a spoiled brat for all the good I have.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Melinda1973
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melinda1973.html

Post by Melinda1973 »

This is one of my top ten favorite books! Maybe because it reminds me of the stories my father and his siblings tell about their upbringing. My background is in Early Childhood and it never seizes to amaze me the resilience one child can half and the brokenness another can experience raised in the same environment. But one thing seems to be a key factor. That eliminate of love, no matter how twisted or thin. As long as it's present a child has a chance to thrive, this really shown through in the rebelling of this authors personal experience.
NerdShopGirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NerdShopGirl »

This book is my arch enemy in the world of books. Whenever I hear someone suggest it I cringe inside. I voluntarily chose this book to read with my book group several years ago and I think we collectively agreed (for the first time in our group's history) that it was a hateful awful book. The writing is wonderful and I feel so much for what she went through but I was so angry the entire time I was reading it that to this day I can still get fired up inside at the thought of it.

I wanted to reach inside the pages and smack the mother around. I can honestly say that this is the only book I have ever encouraged people not to read.
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

the book sounds interesting, I'm going to add to my bookshelf
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I read this book some time ago. It always amazes me how people grow up and who they become. This little girl rose like a Phoenix. How many others just stay in the ashes and moan?!!
elsiebeth
Favorite Author: Pamela Schoenewaldt
Currently Reading: Dog Sport Skills
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsiebeth.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 37948

Post by elsiebeth »

I read The Glass Castle this month. I must say I am more surprised by the reaction of many readers than the behavior of the dysfunction of the parents. Many families today are living this lifestyle and much worse. Amazing that the children could live and prosper. It shows what the human spirit can survive.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

I actually really enjoyed and liked this book. I would recommend it to anyone. I was drawn to the story and couldn’t put the book down. It was hard to believe that parents would behave like that and not truly take care of their children. However, there was always this underlying love, especially between the father and the kids. I honestly think that Jeanette has dealt with her upbringing and childhood experiences and all the emotions and trauma surrounding it. I think if she had not come to terms with it all, she would not have been able to write this book. Her spirit and determination are incredible. I admire her for everything that she went through. Her story is one of success and endurance and perseverance. She survived so many obstacles that many of us will never encounter, and she rose above. The book highlighted the issue of poverty in the US and also that of mental distress. I do believe that Jeanette’s parents had some mental instability in order to live the way that they did. It was very eye-opening, and I believe it took a great deal of courage for Jeanette to tell her story.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Scott wrote: 24 Oct 2007, 22:01 Did you enjoy reading it? Would you recommend it?
What do you think of Jeannette's life as she describes it?
What do you think of her attitude as she recounts her past?
The Glass Castle is one of the first books I read during the quarantine last year. It was suggested by my online friend because it has a very unusual story.
The moment I read the first chapter, I couldn't help but think it was like a novel and therefore added some parts that made it a sensational story overall.
I was horrified and a bit traumatized by it. I also lived in poverty, but I can't imagine how Jeannette and her siblings went through. Jeannette's parents are non-conforming hippies who think let their kids suffer to toughen them up.
During the last part where she saw her mother rummaging through the trash, I can sense that YES, she is embarrassed about her past. But it did not prevent her from pursuing what she enjoyed in life.

Despite being horrified by her life story, I still recommend this book in many book clubs I'm in. It is one of my best reads in 2020!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I think it is interesting to read any story of someone who can have life where they face troubles including poverty but then become a bestselling author.

Return to “Book of the month”