Atonement ~ Part One (the first fourteen chapters)

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Atonement ~ Part One (the first fourteen chapters)

Post by Scott »

This discussion is for the first part of Atonement. (The book is separated into 3 parts and an epilogue, but the first part makes up about half of the book.) If you haven't read the first part, wait until you have read it to read this thread, as it may contain spoilers. If you have read past the first part, please join these discussions, but do not discuss anything past the first part in this thread as to not spoil it for others.

A lot happened this half of the book. What do you think of the book so far?

Do you think Lola's original injuries were actually done by the twins? I had a suspicion that they were done by another person.

What do you think about the note? I found it ironic that the offensive note is actually what caused Cecilia to realize her attraction to Robbie. The note seems to be a major symbol of misunderstanding. Robbie didn't mean to send it and thought it would offend Cecilia which it didn't, and Lola and Briony both have devastating interpretations of it, which they pass on to the investigators and family members and all later.

I assume Robbie did not do it, but it has not actually been specified. Who do you think violated Lola? I thought is was Paul Marshall but Cecilia suggested Danny Hardman.

What do you think about how Briony fabricated evidence? Do you blame her for it, or do you think she doesn't know any better? I think she truly believes Robbie is the perpetrator, but she knows that she is lying about saying that she saw him. What about Lola? She seems to at least partially disbelieve that it was Robbie who violated her. Do you blame her for not speaking up?

Do you think this type of incident, a false accusation of sexual victimization, is common? I imagine it is, especially with children. As this story shows, children are easily impressionable and they are more concerned about pleasing adults than telling the truth.

Are there any quotes or short excerpts from the first part of the book that you especially like? If so, please post them.

Also, ask questions for the rest of the readers.

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 30 Sep 2007, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
haniirani
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by haniirani »

I'm feeling quite displeased with Briony after part one. With Lola as well.

I find it strange too about the uncensored letter. Why is Cecilia not offended by it? Is it because she somehow suspected their feelings for each other and so she is waiting for some signs and that letter serves as a sign?

Well I don't think it could be the twins. They couldn't be so strong and violent to inflict such injuries on their sister. Suspect: Paul Marshall. But if he is the one, then why does she tell Briony that her brothers caused the marks on her wrists and arms (see pg 109–13)? Why does she allow Briony to take over her story when she is attacked later in the evening (see pg 153–60)? What exactly are her motivations? What do you think?

I realize there's a lot of assumptions and false impressions made in this story, with Briony suspecting Robbie and with Cecilia suspecting Danny Hardman because he seems interested in Lola.

Why do you think is Briony so determined to stick to her story? As asked by Scott earlier, is she (13 years old) not old enough to understand or because of malice and revenge towards Cecilia/Robbie or because of self-importance?

I think I'm inclined towards the last reason. She must be feeling satisfaction to be "able to build and shape her narrative in her own words..." (see pg 180) and also she must be loving the fact that she's pleasing the adults with "All her work, all her courage and clear-headedness, all she had done to bring Lola home..." (see pg 184) and her fear that it was all for nothing and "They would turn their backs on her.... no one would talk to her now." However, I also feel that all those three causes contribute to the way she act.

As I reached the last few pages of part one, I tried to have patience, but no. I just leafed through those pages. At that point, I only needed to know what happened.
babypinkcandygirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

wow, sorry it took so long to finish but some parts of it dragged for me! but i'm done now :D

i find it interesting that lola's attacker isn't specified too but isn't mcewan making a point by witholding this information from his readers? we assume it was marshall based on our own interpretation of his behaviour and the scratch on his face and his somewhat distatseful personality, but have we really any more reason to believe it was him than briony had reason to believe it was robbie? perhaps mcewan is making the point that if we are capable of jumping to the (possibly) wrong conclusions as adults then perhaps we should be doubly forgiving when children do it too....

one thing i am struggling with is the number of character focuses in the book. although i think they add to the sense of disconnection between characters and i do think this is an important theme. but i find my attention waning when certain characters take the limelight (namely the insipid mrs tallis...) at other times im racing through the book and cant get enough of it!

how does eveybody else feel about this? isn't there a real sense of disconnection running through the whole book? even though they are all under one house they each seem to be worlds apart emotionally.
what's your top ten...?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Great posts!

I started the discussion thread for the whole book:

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?t=576

Thanks,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

Robbie didn't do it, I assume, but it hasn't been confirmed. Who do you believe abused Lola? Paul Marshall was mentioned, but Cecilia said Danny Hardman.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Book of the month”