Overall Opinion of Burn Zones

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Re: Overall Opinion of Burn Zones

Post by Noosh »

I submitted my review on the book yesterday and am still waiting for it to be published. [fingers crossed]
So, I absolutely loved the book! All of it! Sure, it was a bit shocking to read some parts of it but yeah, still amazing and beautiful. I wanna be that man! I wanna stay strong through every single burn zone of my life and never give up! Wouldn't that be great?
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Burn zone is a full score of 4 stars for me. This book is inspirational and I defenitely recommend it to evryone because all of us have experienced burn zones. There are many quotes and phrases in this book that are motivational.
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

What I really liked about this book is how Newbery always looked for lessons in his failures instead of blaming others or circumstances. I think it is important to sometimes just take a step back and try to see what one did wrong in order to do it better the next time.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I would rate it 4 out of 4. It is one of the most 'real' memoirs that I have read. The author narrates his life story openly and thus the reader is drawn in and also reflects on his/her own burn zones.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

I have read the review of burn zones and I loved how the author depicts that everyone has his/her burn zone. No giving up though. This book is a must read.
Wanja Kenya
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I gave it a 4 out of 4. He is such an inspiring man! Wish I had his confidence. It's amazing how he never gave up.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Burn Zones was great. I will say towards the end, the mention of entering a burn zone felt like a newly established cliché though. And there were also some slower moments that got bogged down in the details, but overall story worked well. My favorite moments came into play during the author's childhood. It made me think of Charley Brown. The logical skills ready to enter the big bad world of adulthood, but the absence of years of life experience. It's always an enjoyable combination!
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I have a review of this book up on the site. I loved it very much. I will definitely recommend it to anyone who asks me. One of the few nonfiction reads that I enjoyed.
iamjakepitts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjakepitts.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iamjakepitts »

I struggled with Burn Zones. It felt really tangential at times. I do believe this book is one that would have a different influence on a reader depending on their season of life. Maybe it just didn't resonate with me at the time. I gave it 2 out of 4.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

I enjoyed the book very much. It's an inspiration to everyone. I will recommend to others because there are so many values to learn from his life. Overcoming troubles, being honest when no one else is around, seeing good in everyone, not compromising on ones integrity for profits and setting high standards for our own work.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I would definitely recommend it, it is an inspirational book and I believe we can learn from the positivity and determination of the author
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I enjoyed the book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. I felt slightly disadvantaged reading all the legalities around America's real estate business. I was only slightly bored reading this part. But I enjoyed the rest of the book thoroughly, and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I just finished the book. I really enjoyed it and I thought that Jorge Newberry is a very influential person. It was sad that his one set backwas when he wanted to help others. Well I guess at least he learned from that.

I have the book 4 out of 4
samantha07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha07.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by samantha07 »

I really liked reading this book because it really described someone's high and lows, they book was very well structured too. And also I liked how the book taught us to never give up and be determined. I would recommend this book to those who are experiencing the low points of their life, as this book truly motivates and teaches us that we can't give up.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I really enjoyed the book. In fact it didn't take me too long to finish it. The way that he described events in his life seemed so honest to me, that it almost felt like a conversation with a friend. I appreciated that. Another thing that I really liked was that he didn't present himself as a perfect human being, nor did he make up excuses for the bad choices that he took at one point or another. He exposed his weaknesses to us, even on his teeth (which I admit, made me laugh). If it wasn't for the constant grammar errors I found (I read the Spanish version), I would have given him four stars.

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”