What do you look for in a good book cover?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Chief Among Us by L. A. Noble
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: What do you look for in a good book cover?

Post by Nisha Ward » 20 Apr 2019, 02:29

The colours and then the art. The font doesn't really matter to me, but the colours have to be eye-catching and complimentary before I look at anything else.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Bhaskins » 27 Jun 2019, 11:30

I think a lot about spacing. I like book that has a good font and image, but isn't too blank or too over crowded. It has to say something, but not be overwhelming like a magazine cover.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WhiteLotus » 28 Jun 2019, 06:45

I agree that it has a little to do with genre. Sci-fi for instance tend to be more illustration based, so I look for something that has nice illustration in it. I find most Young Adult covers a little busy, though, the ones that have like the setting-scape and the person and then a background too... it's just too much going on for me.
Of course, good use of colors and space is attractive, good placing of the art used... but it really is a subconscious choice. it's not like I'm outright looking for something specific.

Kansas City Teacher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: 1936 by Sean League

Post by Kansas City Teacher » 03 Jul 2019, 18:07

I have, in the last few days, erroneously bypassed an excellent book and later found out that it was amazing. I think the colors / tone of the cover should match the book. Choice of colors, and the title itself should be carefully selected to compliment the book.
Latest Review: 1936 by Sean League

Tamorie21
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 45
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: China Dolls
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie21.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Tamorie21 » 07 Jul 2019, 05:02

I used to look for the book's intended scenery/setting in book covers when I was younger. I still do that now, but not so much. I'm also captured by bright colors and alluring fonts that look magical. Honestly, I'm captured by many things, it's hard to say I look for one thing in particular!

I like covers that seem "deep" -- a few words on the cover with a pretty bold color and maybe a few snowflakes. I don't know. One of the book covers that I really like, though, is from Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's extremely eye-catching to me.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”