How effective is word of mouth advertisement in promoting a book?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

How effective is word of mouth advertisement in promoting a book?

Post by BookHausJ »

As a start up Author with limited Fund to promote a book, is Word of Mouth would not be a good choice?
Benchrisdf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Benchrisdf »

Its the most powerful marketing tools.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html

Post by BookHausJ »

Thank you Benchrisdf! In the long run perhaps many Author can benefit on this.
RicReviews

Post by RicReviews »

Not really effective.
Unless, you have about a million friends
Or people you know very well
And they have a million friends…
And so on!
If you try hawking it to your family, relatives
And a handful of buddies –
Do not expect to see dramatic results.
Regards. :)
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

It really depends, whether you have many friends to advertise it too or not. Although it won't hurt trying.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Word of mouth really has to be about putting yourself and your book out there. Even if you just make tweets or post on facebook. An attractive post on either platform may get your book some attention. Also, you can always contact people who review books to an audience, like booktubers, to review your book for a free copy. It could get you some great exposure if it's well received.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
shanlife-2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanlife-2.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by shanlife-2 »

Word of mouth is a very effective tool in marketing. When you like something you have eaten or read what do you do,you tweet about it.That creates more awareness. Social media like Facebook, when you have a product that is new, they are tools to use to make them have a wider reach like sponsoring a page, which one can advertise which only a dollar, we also have blogging. The most thing about word of mouth, we all tend to trust our friends opinions more.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

It is, that's why as new authors with low budget, we should maximize on it. I am also planning to publish my own book soon and this would be my most effective tool. Good luck!
obelenwali

Post by obelenwali »

Word of mouth is so powerful ,because God use it to create human being and also use word to fight our enemies through the use of spoken words.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

People rarely recommend books to me in real life which makes me less likely to believe in it. I think word of mouth works best for specialized brick-and-mortar businesses, like a local mechanic. Most people aren't passionate enough about books to keep repeating the message, so I think it would fade out like an echo.

If you want it to work successfully, there probably needs to be a source for generating more people that work as mouths. YouTube reviews and book review blogs have the benefit of continually generating more people. When the reviews exist, there is always a chance that someone will find them. When you keep creating potential points for online exposure, you are building up steam.

If I see the same book multiple times, I will pay attention to it. I'm not a marketer, but there is something called The Rule of Seven. It states that people need to see the same message seven times before they will buy it. You are not likely to present your book to the same person seven times, so start with the goal of showing your book to the same person twice. Pick your sources of advertisement based on that. Those sources don't have to cost any money.

Maybe start a blog, search Amazon for ebooks, and contact the writers/bloggers that are trying to sell their own books. Make a trade. You will read and review their book if they will read and review yours. I don't know. I'm spitballing. I'm just giving my opinion, and it definitely isn't professional.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Word of mouth is really powerful. you can promote your books on social media platforms to attract to the reader. By social media, you can reach globally.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Social Media is good plateform to pramote your site
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I think word of mouth only works if the people you are talking to care about your book and your success as much as you do. In my experience, most people will say they will spread the word, but very rarely do.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

If you are a new author, word of mouth on its own is not enough to sell large numbers of books. You need to be active on social media and try to get local book shops interested in you and your book.
zoefoster

Post by zoefoster »

Word of mouth remains a potent tool in book promotion, and Barnett Ghostwriting recognizes its effectiveness. Positive reviews and recommendations from readers can significantly boost a book's visibility and credibility. With book promotion services professional-grade content, authors are well-positioned to benefit from this powerful form of advertising.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”