The #1 Mistake Most Authors Make

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The #1 Mistake Most Authors Make

Post by suetropez »

Maybe I'm off base here but isn't getting the e-book free or cheap the main reason for having e-books and e-readers? Convenience is one thing and cheap is the other.
JessPT14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesspt14.html

Post by JessPT14 »

-- 11 Aug 2016, 19:08 --

My biggest issue is when one story is broken up into multiple books with each book under 100 pages, especially when it is not obvious that there is a cliffhanger and multiple books in the series. I would rather pay one higher price for one large book than pay multiple some amounts for each book.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

Good post!

I tend to split my reading time between browsing the "slush pile" of authors who are offering free books, and immersing myself in the works of accomplished authors. I go to the slush pile looking for people who are just emerging, who have put in the time and the effort to create something different and unique. I go to the established author so that I don't get too jaded in my view of how "good writers" write. The best write books I don't like, and new writers can create gems. But both succeed when they focus on giving more in their story than they ever expect to get back.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Interesting way of looking at this. I do not mind paying more than $5 for an e-book if it's good. After all, the author still had to put lots of work into it, just like he/she would into a physical book. But, if it's good and has good review, why not pay a little more? Unless I want the physical copy for some reason, and then I would pay more. The matter of it being poorly edited is another matter.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
MoisBenarroch

Post by MoisBenarroch »

Just read Scott´s book, you should read it. It´s short and very precise and comes from experience. The insight about Facebook is worth hundreds of dollars, and I have experienced it myself (facebook is just not what it used to be 3 years ago). The best way to make something of Facebook today is through groups, and even more through closed groups.

Book pricing is a real mistery to me, I have been trying to make sense of it, and I am puzzled. My best selling book (Gates to Tangier) has been a bestseller in Spanish, I have priced it between 2,99 and 9,49 and it sells at all these prices. It sells the same between 6,79 and 2,99. I tried for s short time to sell it for 0,99 and sales were only 20% higher, which doesnt make sense at all.
I think that mostly it depends on the way amazon itself makes the book visible.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

So true. There are already tons of studies about ebook pricing and in general it is a constantly evolving marketplace. Getting established is tough.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Barbara Dominick

Post by Barbara Dominick »

This is a good article. Quality is more important than quantity. Thank you Scott... I'll check out your 10 Step Plan!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Barbara Dominick wrote:This is a good article. Quality is more important than quantity. Thank you Scott... I'll check out your 10 Step Plan!
Yeah, it is a great thing to check out for early stage advice!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Yolanda Denise
Currently Reading: In the Fullness of Time
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolanda-denise.html

Post by Yolanda Denise »

I've bought the book and am reading it now.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree that a lot of writers have no respect their reader's time... or money! I've read books that were so unnecessarily long that I stopped reading it. I prefer books that get straight to the point, especially non-fiction books. Also, I've seen writers over charge on their books when I can get a printed book with basically the same plot for much cheaper. It definitely is a matter of taking the time to consider what's best for your target audience.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Victor Rose
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)

Post by Victor Rose »

I just finished publishing my first novel, so I probably not the right person to ask. But not wasting the reader's time is something I considered from the very beginning. That includes removing un-needed fluff and redundant details. It also included limiting the novel to around 80K words. I would go higher if I need to, to finish the story, but most casual readers don't like read large tomes. They're just too much work to read.

The only thing I regret, so far, is releasing the novel on Kindle before professional copy-editing. I chose to do it, to get feedback and the feedback was both valuable and positive (besides comments about the grammar). After feedback came in it was clear I needed professional editing help. Which I got and couldn't be happier with the results.

Don't gamble on your abilities to copy-edit a manuscript correctly. Copy-editing and line-editing are a different skill set from writing.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Scott, that is an interesting point and one that I didn't even consider. Will keep this in my mind when selling/trying to sell my books. Thanks!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”