File protection/file types

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

File protection/file types

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I think this would be a good place to discuss file protection.

If you value your book, then you should probably only send a PDF to a very trusted friend.

Another point, if you take Kindle's 70% royalty, then people are allowed to lend your book through Kindle Lendle. While there's nothing unethical about this (similar to loaning a paperback), you the author receive no money for that loan.

Also, at the 70% royalty rate, your book can be acquired through Kindle Unlimited users (people who pay a monthly fee for eBook access on Amazon). Now, Amazon is very smooth-tongued about how much you get paid for this, but more often than not, you get paid nothing. (I'd love to see evidence to the contrary.)

To protect yourself from not receiving returns on your book being read, you may accept the 35% royalty option, which is a gyp, but what else can you do? (At the bottom of the details page, make sure that "allow lending for this book" is unchecked. It's automatically checked if your royalty is 70%.)

Obviously this bites, because buyers don't understand why a Kindle book would be priced so high. Corporate greed!! :o

I went down a dark road online a few nights ago and tried to find free downloads of my book on unauthorized sites. I found a few sites that referenced my book, and then when I clicked further, all of those sites led to one same site. I don't recall what the site was, but I created a profile and signed up for a free trial. Then I searched for my book by title, my name, etc., and fortunately I did not find my book. Just big name stuff--best sellers, etc.

I then emailed the site to cancel my membership, saying, "Hey, I just wanted to make sure you weren't pirating my book."

They cancelled my membership five minutes later. I guess that's the way to do it.

What I think we can discuss in this thread is file types. I'm not familiar with mobi files, for example, and what function they serve. Which file types are protected? Any thoughts or information along that line would be useful.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am glad for you your books weren't pirating. Files types are files that can be read on different devices. Kindle uses mobi files for instance. Amazon has installed DRM on the ebooks to prevent pirating and some other selling sites do the same.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thanks for that info!! :-)
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Just speaking from a reader's point of view, I don't like mobi files. I can read them with the kindle apps from my laptop/tablet/phone, it is true, but it always feel kind of clumsy. I prefer epub files. They can get DRM protection too, so don't worry! Then you can read them with ease on a great number of devices, using your adobe id. Which I keep forgetting, along with my password, but this is another story :D
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

So this might seem like a silly question, but would you ever consider allowing people to pirate your books as a means of marketing? I've read in more than one E-Book publishing self-help book that sometimes it's better to allow one or two books to go out for free so that people can get a feel for your writing style. That's why many e-book series have the first book free, but then you have to buy the rest in the series (because, presumedly, if you're looking for the next books in the series you're probably hooked enough to buy them). I'm sure it's different for self-publishing authors and big-wigs such as Stephen King who can allow a few to slip through the cracks, but what do you think?
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

i think a better approach might be a marketing campaign where you give away a few free copies to say, the first 10 readers that email you or make a facebook post about your book and link back to you, or even a twitter hashtag campaign. I do think that publicity is good, but I don't think turning a blind eye to pirating is a good thing.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

gali wrote:I am glad for you your books weren't pirating. Files types are files that can be read on different devices. Kindle uses mobi files for instance. Amazon has installed DRM on the ebooks to prevent pirating and some other selling sites do the same.

Amazon's DRM is powerful. One thing you can do for PDFs is add a disclaimer inside that it is NOT a distribution copy. Then if it is put on a pirate website and you try to take action they won't have a leg to stand on. Another is watermarks (instafreebie and bookfunnel both watermark). It is impossible to keep sites from getting a book, but 90% of the time if it isn't a distribution copy they will take it down upon request.

In general, though, I would say write another book and hope that a reader who pirates might become a fan or recommend to a friend. Pirating your book 1,000 times could mean 1,000 new readers, and if the alternative is 0 paid readers then it is worth it to let them pirate.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I guess if it is part of the strategy then make sure the Paper book is also available on all Book Store. So that when the pirated go viral then those who are interested to have their Paper book instead of an e-book they can have it available.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”