Print Book Covers - Glossy vs. Matte

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Re: Print Book Covers - Glossy vs. Matte

Post by Anngladys »

MarkWNeville wrote: 29 Sep 2016, 13:09 I went with glossy for my first book because it better reflected the subject of my book, spirit. Glossy feels more spirited and alive to me than matte.
Sure, glossy does seem to be more alive than matte.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Momlovesbooks wrote: 25 Oct 2015, 16:08 Matte covers seem to look a little more sophisticated, but I don't really pay much attention to whether it's matte or glossy. I'm looking at the title and whether the cover fits the type of book. The type of finish on the cover won't change my mind about buying it.

Although matte seems a little more sophisticated, the cover type doesn't determine my choice of book either. If I like it, I like it despite the cover finish.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

It depends onthe design imprinted on the covers. Some design finishes looks good over glossy print and some looks better over matt. So it needs to be tested before being finalised.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”