How soon is too soon for marketing

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
RonnyCollins27
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: complex PTSD Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronnycollins27.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

How soon is too soon for marketing

Post by RonnyCollins27 »

How soon do you begin the marketing of a book? Is it wise to start the news that your writing a book ahead of release so it’s already known or wait until the books released?
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

It depends on how sure you are that you will finish the book. There's no point in getting people interested and then having to wait 12 months until they can buy it. I would say wait till the book is at least through it's first full edit before you start posting teasers on social media. Aim to have no more than a two month wait for interested readers to get their hands on the book.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

RonnyCollins27 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 00:16 How soon do you begin the marketing of a book? Is it wise to start the news that your writing a book ahead of release so it’s already known or wait until the books released?
Britney Spears' memoir "The Woman in Me" became a number-one New York Times best-seller in its first week of release. It sold 90,656 print copies in its first week, securing the top spot on the Official UK Top 50 chart.

I credit the memoir's success to Britney's marketing skills. Prior to the release, she builds curiosity in her audience and hard-sells anticipation so she can soft-sell the memoir.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

I think that while the timing of book marketing can vary, it's generally a good idea to start building anticipation before the release. Creating awareness ahead of time can generate interest and anticipation among potential readers. Personally, I'd consider sharing teasers or snippets about the book as you progress in writing, but be strategic about revealing details to maintain a level of excitement leading up to the release.
Rodney Nguyen
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Rodney Nguyen »

I didn'tp have a big online presence or an audience. I'm starting every thing from scratch as my book coach didn't have me prepared for promoting my book, I would say approximately 6 weeks out.
Razib Paul
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Razib Paul »

The timing of book marketing is crucial, and a strategic approach is essential. Ideally, initiating pre-release buzz can be beneficial. Teasing the concept, sharing glimpses, and engaging potential readers beforehand builds anticipation. However, it's a delicate balance; revealing too much too soon may dilute interest. Coordinating a well-timed marketing campaign closer to the release ensures a fresh impact. Utilize social media, teasers, and a compelling synopsis to generate curiosity. Ultimately, a thoughtful combination of pre-release hints and an impactful launch strategy can maximize a book's visibility, creating a buzz that resonates with potential readers at just the right moment.
As founder of ATReads, I lead a vibrant bookworm community on social media. Dive into the world of captivating stories, share bookish joy, and connect with fellow enthusiasts. Join ATReads for a shared love of literature.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”