to republish or relaunch?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
dean-the-raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

to republish or relaunch?

Post by dean-the-raven »

I published my first novel a few months ago on Amazon but did so in haste, without a really good editor. I sent out preview copies to 45 people on my email list and got some nice reviews and so I thought I'd put it on and see how it does. It hasn't done well. I'm working with a new editor and will make a few changes throughout the text, as well as possibly 'rephrasing' the title. The question is, which is better: relaunch with new promotional push or unpublish and republish?
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

What do you mean by it hasn't done well?

What was your goal and how far from it were you?

Are the changes your are going to make major or minor?

Must you really change the title?

After considering the above, I'd probably begin by preparing a high-quality book, then crafting an excellent marketing strategy. That is key. Then relaunching, perhaps by even setting the book for free for a couple of days. Or increasing the price slowly over a period of time.

But at the end of the day, all that doesn't matter if you aren't reaching your target market. What you need in order for the book to 'do well' is to have your book's ads in front of the right eyeballs.

All the best!
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I agree with the poster above. You should get your book as good as it can be before re-publishing. If the earlier version was a flop, then remove it completely from Amazon and everywhere else (social media etc) before you launch your new, better, rebranded version.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”