The Origins Debate, an article by Daniel Friedmann

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

Mrlinko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: The Origins Debate, an article by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mrlinko »

In America, the general public remains divided on the origins debate. A 2019 Gallup poll indicated 40% of adult Americans hold that God created humans in their present form, 33% hold that humans evolved, with God guiding the process, and 22% believe that humans evolved with God playing no part in it.
This are the most important parts of this article.
I think, base on what have been preach or analys to the young one. It's the mentality they are moving around with.
In my opinion though
Eloada_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eloada_ »

''God, as the designer of the universe, left behind just such a record—the books of the Bible. Even if one does not hold that the record is divine, it is a fact, nonetheless, that it precedes all modern science and origins explanations''.
This alone has answered the question because if the Bible is testable and science struggles with information unknown, it then means that there is really no controversy about the origins of the Universe. How long will the experiment by the Scientists last? maybe next decade, century, or millennium while the answer remains in a book that not many people would want to explore with at least an open mind and probably get a broader view that would enhance accurate and verifiable conclusions.
DogBone

Post by DogBone »

The article left me wondering whether there is a debate at all - between creationists and scientists - and if so who the leading protagonists of such a debate are and what points they have put forward for us to evaluate and ponder about. Science will always be challenging the bible because that is what science is about - asking questions and providing universally verifiable answers. The bible challenging science on the other hand is not a viable proposition - and the suggestion that the bible could offer explanations to scientific questions is at best fanciful. Religion has had all the time in the world to get ahead of science in explaining our origins but it has failed to provide universally verifiable answers. Religion does not mean Christianity only and If it is to challenge science at all, it needs to offer universal explanations, not just a Christian perspective. It must also start advancing facts instead of basing its arguments on unsubstantiated beliefs and righteous emotions. Belief signifies the limits of human knowledge and cannot be an argument by itself. All we can do is respect and leave people to their beliefs. Its not wise to debate beliefs....
SOLOMON CALEB NGOMA
Currently Reading:

Post by SOLOMON CALEB NGOMA »

The bible is clear that it is "By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible."
Hebrews 11:3
It is therefore not possible to perform an experiment to prove the fact of creation. On the other hand to claim that there is empirical evidence in support of evolution is a lie. Evolution cannot be supported by experimentation and it requires more faith to take evolution as true. Who would be there to wait for billions of years to perform experiment that demonstrates the mutation of the fish into some amphibians. What about the missing links? In Genesis 3 God pronounced degeneration on creation/nature which Scientists have found to be a fact in the laws of thermaldynamics
arti arti

Post by arti arti »

I agree with the writer that the origin of earth,humanity and the universe is a debatable topic. Actually, no body knows about it exactly , everybody has their own myths . I find this article very interesting
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

My belief...the bible was written by man to control the masses. It was not written by any omniscient being. Therefore, there is no way the bible can ever prove creationism scientifically. This debate about science, and statements like this, "purely materialistic scientific theories" are exactly why we have so many people questioning science and not believing even a pandemic is real.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Londyn

Post by Londyn »

Before we can even entertain the idea of God being responsible for the creation of life and the universe, doesn't it make sense to first prove that God even exists? A God may exist but that does not mean it is responsible for creating the universe and life. Why waste time postulating a God's power and abilities even a microsecond before determining if such a being even exists? The Bible has made this claim that God continues to perform miracles and interacts with our reality. Such an extraordinary claim should be as consistently provable as the invisible force of gravity. Gravity is not something that we can see or touch, but by experimenting with physics formulas, we can repeatedly prove that gravity interacts with our reality. Much like gravity, religion claims that God is this "invisible force" that interacts with our reality through prayer. And much like we would use the formulas in a physics book to prove gravity, shouldn't we be able to use the "formulas" in the Bible to help prove that there is a God in existence that still interacts with our reality?

I often point to the scripture Matthew 18:19 as the "formula" to communicate with God. It says "Again I say unto you, that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it SHALL be done for them of my father which is in heaven." (Meaning that God will grant the wishes of two people praying for the same thing WITHOUT EXCEPTION). This "formula" can be used to prove whether or not we get the consistent result promised by Jesus in the Bible. Will two people praying together help restore vision, hearing, or someone's ability to walk as was done by Jesus in the Bible? Will two people praying together be enough to provide food for hundreds of starving people, much like Jesus was able to do? This Matthew 18:19 "formula" should easily prove whether or not there is an "invisible force" that continues to interact with our reality as the Bible claims. 

I'm no theologian but I'm sure that there are many other religious texts full of "formulas" on how we can "connect" to God and prove his existence. Have any of these "formulas" been as reliable as the physics and scientific formulas that easily prove things that we cannot see in the Universe? If not, isn't the argument about God's creative powers a waste of time? Shouldn't we prove God's existence first and THEN take steps toward determining what creative powers and qualities this "invisible force" truly possesses? 

We currently live in a world where 3 MILLION children die around the world EVERY YEAR from starvation alone (that does not include illness and accidents). With numbers that staggering, I sometimes hope that the God of the Bible does NOT exist. I'd be appalled to know that the grand creator of the universe had the power to feed all those children but never bothered to lift a finger to alleviate their suffering.
Mwaranoa
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Mwaranoa »

I find it very interesting when I've read about creation was not confirmed to be scientific and well from me it did not cause how can that be when everything we need are in our surroundings nature provides for us instead of people control us so I think for myself that we are not living scientifically. Good to know 40% believe God as a creator thanks to that majority number.
Bhagchandjain12
Currently Reading: Bird in a Snare
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Bhagchandjain12 »

It’s a matter of understanding , beliefs and explanations: scientific base and bases of what you feel in thoughts where science has no explanation: it’s a good debate where we search the truth
mcpheron_96

Post by mcpheron_96 »

I really enjoyed this article. He did very well in his research and I'd love to read more about this debate.
Joy1999+
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy1999+ »

Every interesting debate really they is percentage of people believe that god is created the earth .In bible it is given how the earth is been created even i believe it only
Blessy2017

Post by Blessy2017 »

It remains interesting that the the debate of origin of life has never been resolved. While science came up with evolutionism, the question they have not answered is "evolution from what?" Is it more interesting that evolution has not taken place for a long time now. If Science is to hold, we should see the progression of organisms so that the specific characteristics are different from organisms of the past. Failure for science to explain why evolution does not continue to-date leaves us to believe that creationism is the ultimate explainer of the origin of life.
CougarAP
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CougarAP »

I have always been confused as to how people can continue to believe in a biblical creation narrative when science and common sense have concretely shown the origins of our world. I am surprised as to how this is even open for debate.
axeChang
Currently Reading:

Post by axeChang »

Creation vs Evolution
this debate is probably known to everyone.
CREATION: believed by all kinds of religions-Christian, Islam, Shinto, Budhism, etc, some calls it mythology Greek Mythology,
EVOLUTION: believed by scientist, famous theories written in books like Darwin, Big Bang Theory etc
what exactly are we trying to prove by debating? what will happen if a side wins? doesn't this creates division to humanity instead of unity?
isn't this like trying to prove - which comes first? chicken or egg? how can you prove it?

i believe no matter what one believes we should set one goal as humans and look towards the future. no one should harm anyone with their experiments just to prove their point. i therefore conclude at the end of the day we should spread FAITH HOPE and Love faster than covid-19!
Namrata_kunder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namrata-kunder.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Namrata_kunder »

An interesting article. Seriously, so many of us still are unaware about how humans evolved. Looking forward to read more such articles!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Author Articles”