The Origins Debate, an article by Daniel Friedmann

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

friedmanndaniel
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Origins Debate, an article by Daniel Friedmann

Post by friedmanndaniel »

[The following is a featured article, written exclusively for OnlineBookClub by Daniel Friedmann, author of the March 2021 Book of the Month, The Biblical Clock.]

The Origins Debate

The origins debate is a recurring cultural, political, and theological dispute about the origins of the Earth, life, humanity, and the universe. Is there an approach to the debate that can be accepted by scientists and theologists?

The dispute continues between those who espouse religious belief and thus support a creationist view, and those who accept that purely materialistic scientific theories explain, or in time will explain, all aspects of the origins of the universe, life, and humans.

Creationism is the religious belief that the universe and living organisms originated from specific acts of divine creation. It includes a continuum of views on scripture and science. On scripture, perspectives range from a literal to a figurative interpretation of Genesis. On science, views vary in their acceptance or rejection of scientific explanations, such as evolution, and measurement techniques, such as radioactive decay for estimating the age of fossils.

In America, the general public remains divided on the origins debate. A 2019 Gallup poll indicated 40% of adult Americans hold that God created humans in their present form, 33% hold that humans evolved, with God guiding the process, and 22% believe that humans evolved with God playing no part in it.

Creationists have made many attempts to formulate arguments that scientists can accept, so as to work towards a resolution. Early on, scientific creationists failed to show that their arguments held up to scientific scrutiny. Today, the intelligent design movement argues from scientific principles that certain events in the development of the universe and life required an intelligence in order to happen. But the scientific community does not agree that intelligent design is “scientific,” because the creator can be made to do anything, so the theory does not predict anything specific and thus cannot be tested.

The scientific community’s reaction to intelligent design makes it clear that progress in the debate requires creationism to be backed up by an approach that is testable and thus acceptable as “scientific.” This approach must therefore include explanations and predictions of aspects of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified, in accordance with the scientific method.

Can the creationism argument be made scientifically testable? Yes, by checking the record that the Creator left behind, a set of documents that can be analyzed and put to the test. God, as the designer of the universe, left behind just such a record—the books of the Bible. Even if one does not hold that the record is divine, it is a fact, nonetheless, that it precedes all modern science and origins explanations. If this record (1) is detailed enough to explain the origins of the universe and life, (2) does this in a way that does not contradict clear scientific facts yet adds to the natural explanation precisely where science struggles, and (3) contains information unknown to scientists that can be verified in the future by experiment and/or observation, then it fits scientists’ need for a “testable theory.”

The Biblical Clock is based on this approach.

---
View The Biblical Clock on Amazon
tollivsr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tollivsr.html
Latest Review: High Flying by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tollivsr »

I am amazed that 40% of the population believe in creationism over evolution. That is a lot of people!
Nonu9Nov

Post by Nonu9Nov »

It is true that we do not know how did the earth, the universe and its life form came to life and don't even know how did we, the humans, came to life. Scientific study says that during the mass extinction of dinosaur, the smallest mammals called as shrews remain and from their to today's time it is a big difference. Yes, some people do believe in religious power and some believe the supreme power of nature because from nature we came to be. Many speculation or theories have been given but what is the real story behind our universe's birth and our evolution is yet to be revealed.
ADIFRANCIS1966
Currently Reading:

Post by ADIFRANCIS1966 »

It's quite an interesting debate which has ragged for many years now and human beings have still not come to a common conclusion of the origin of life, the universe and creation. Science and religion doesn't seem to come to a common conclusion.
M Holden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-holden.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by M Holden »

I am not sure what constitutes the "scientific community" but, I found several top notch scientists who actually argue for intelligent design as it pertains to the origins of life. See: Dr. James Tour
Kimby127[
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimby127.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kimby127[ »

This is a very interesting observation that you just explained Mr Friedman. The Bible indeed is laced with all truths of how we human beings and all creation came to existence and what purpose all creation serves. Scientists are practical. They enjoy discovering, detailing and studying rather than believing that there is a Higher power - God - that created all that is seen and unseen. Hence why many scientists, if not all, are atheists - non believers. :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray: I look forward to more of your articles. :tiphat:
Mummylove65
Currently Reading: Asterisk
Bookshelf Size: 107

Post by Mummylove65 »

This is an interesting article and the debate is not new. I'm however blown away by the fact that 40% of adult americans believe in creationism. If scientists agree that the Bible is a compilation of facts, then I believe they have their answer right there.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I am a full believer in creationism. And I have found that, in the attempt of science trying to explain creation, they missed some points and events. These missing dots, I believe Bible can provide answers to them. But are they ready to find the answers in the pages of the Bible?
Oumousayon
Currently Reading:

Post by Oumousayon »

A very interesting article... looking forward to more of your articles
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

You have written a very intriguing review here.
Until this book, I had never heard of “creationism” before. I believe in the facts from the Bible, but also enjoy learning about and exploring new things and things I’ve never heard of before. Your article has given me a great curiosity to research and study on this topic for a while. I’m amazed at how many are part of this belief system. Thank you for a greatly detailed, very interesting review.
Kimjoy22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimjoy22.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Kimjoy22 »

An interesting debate. We all are on earth but no one can truly explain how.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I found the article very interesting and it provides a good deal of food for thought. I do not feel a belief in creationism has to be a religion necessarily, though I do realize that many who do believe in creationism do prescribe to particular religious beliefs.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the interesting article! It's a nice companion piece to your book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Johnny De Gale

Post by Johnny De Gale »

Thank you for sharing such an interesting article. By exploring the concept of creation from the biblical verses the scientific perspectives the writer failed to take into account other culture. Additionally in the conclusion the writer seemed to be considering the biblical view point with providing a solid justification.
Michael du Preez
Currently Reading:

Post by Michael du Preez »

A very interesting debate. It's also very curious to note, that not one of those responding to the debate mention the name of Jesus. The Scriptures are interwoven with a Grand Designer, God, and His personal appearance as the Son of God, in the from of Jesus.
I personally believe that every word Jesus uttered was the truth. The claims He made about himself were either the truth, or they were the claims of a lunatic. He certainly believed in the Scriptures, the predictions, the explanations and the future of mankind. He believed in Angels and Demons and in Heaven as an eternal existence for the souls of those who believe in Him, our Three-in One, Creator, God.
Eye-witness accounts of the Deity of Jesus, such as His death and resurrection plus the myriad miracles he performed, are beyond dispute. If scientists really have to explain everything, should they not thoroughly research the Scriptures first, and diligently search for answers there, before they make assumptions and question the existence of a Grand Designer, God?

Return to “Author Articles”