Official Interview: R. J. Torbert

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: R. J. Torbert

Post by kandscreeley »

Good day to all my fellow readers. Today's Chat with Sarah features R. J. Torbert author of The Face of Fear which was book of the month for December 2018.

To view the review, click here.

To view the book on the bookshelves, click here.

To view the discussion for the book of the month, click here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What are your pursuits and hobbies outside of being an author?

I love baseball and music.

2. How did you get started writing?

I always had an interest in writing. I recently found about 100 pages I wrote when I was 18 years old and in the service about a reporter and a cop who worked together to solve cases. I thought it was pretty good for an 18 year old. LOL---writing gives me a creative outlet and while using my degree in English and Creative writing.

3. Let's discuss your recent book of the month, The Face of Fear. Why a mystery and why the Scream Ghost Face mask?

That’s a very good question. As many know, part of my responsibilities at FUN WORLD is protecting and licensing the use of the GHOST FACE mask. When I had my notes together to actually start writing the story, it had been over 10 years since the Mask was featured in a movie, so I thought it would be interesting to bring it back in a completely different story line. My company was all on board with it and even though I was legally protected, I also gave courtesy to Wes Craven who was very excited about the new story. He loved the character Judge Green in the story and we both could see him making a cameo if it ever went to film.

4. At the end of the book, you applaud the Suffolk County Police Department, even donating part of the proceeds to their memorial fund. Is there a reason this is so near to your heart?

Some of my very good friends are police officers and detectives, so I know what they have been through. I sat with them for hours getting explanations on certain scenarios on what is “possible” and what is not in police interaction and dialogue. I felt the department deserved recognition.

5. Are the characters based on anyone in real life?

There are real people in the “fictional” story. Those real people “inspired” the characters using their name as well as the personalities. Detective Kevin Cronin was head of the homicide squad in Suffolk County for many years and was invaluable with his knowledge. Officer Lynagh is still an officer in Suffolk County today, Joey Z is still the owner of Z PITA Cafe.

Let's get some reviewers in on the action now.

6. @Marcos Vera wants to know if there will be a second book.

The second book NO MERCY: A POWERS AND JOHNSON NOVEL is available now and continues the story of these characters and what happens to them.

7. @MsTri - along with several others - would like to know why you chose the Ghost Face for the cover out of all the other possible options, though she understands the tie-in to the story.

Great Question, I’ve had many different remarks about the cover because some people think it makes the book look like a horror story when it’s a police murder mystery. Others think it brings attention to the book. You could make an argument either way.

8. @Ever_Reading and @Alicia09 would like to know why it was so difficult for Paul and Rachelle to get together.

If you remember, the way the story goes, no one was completely sure if Paul was involved in the GHOST FACE vigilante killings or not. Bud had his doubts and even the boss Detective Cronin, manipulated everyone to to the truth. Rachelle loved Paul, but needed to know for sure he was not only a good cop but a good man.

9. @NuelUkah wants to know why you used your neighborhood. What was special about it?

Port Jefferson was used because most of the story came to me in a dream. I was able to drive around the village and “visualize” the buildings, the ferry, the homes, the restaurant and its history to be a part of the story. Many have come to the village to take a “FACE OF FEAR” tour from the book to look at the homes, the restaurant, the ferry and where the events took place. Some have even moved to the Village!

Now for some fun questions.

10. Other than Scream, do you have a favorite horror story - book or movie?

I loved The Silence of the Lambs, and The Thing. Of course, I'm very sentimental to SCREAM, I have always been a Drew Barrymore fan and the relationship that grew with Wes Craven brings the project close to my heart.

11. What's your favorite carnival, fair or amusement park ride?

I have always loved Roller Coasters, always will.

12. What would you choose for your last meal?

I think I would have a small portion of a marinated shell steak, broiled chicken leg, eggplant rolatini and a big caprese salad. If it were my last meal, I might as well not worry about the calories.

13. Cat or dog?

Dog, I grew up with 5 German Shepherds, one pure black, his name was DARGO, the others were REX, FRITZ, ROOKIE AND DALLAS.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sneha Sharma 20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sneha Sharma 20 »

There are real people in the “fictional” story. Those real people “inspired” the characters using their name as well as the personalities.

Return to “Author Interviews”