Official Interview: Dew Pellucid

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Dew Pellucid

Post by kandscreeley »

Good morning, again, fellow OBC'ers. In today's issue of Chat with Sarah, I had the privilege of talking with Dew Pellucid aka Tal Boldo author of The Crystilleries of Echoland. The book has already received many fabulous 4 out of 4 star OBC reviews. The official review can be seen here. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited. To view the book on Amazon, click here. Here's the book of the month discussion. You can still participate! I'm sure you are all anxious to get to the interview, so let's do it!

*******************************************************************************************************************

1. Who is Dew Pellucid?

I invented Dew Pellucid as my pen name. She is also a character in my story, The Crystilleries of Echoland. You see, each of us has a reflection living in Echoland, a see-through being just like you or me. I am Dew Pellucid’s Sound as she is my Echo, albeit a crotchety, much older version of my book-loving self. My name is Tal, and her name is a translation of my name from Hebrew, a language of secrets in Echoland. As for Pellucid, I simply gave my doppelganger an Echo’s surname.

2. What was your greatest influence (or influences) as an author?

Dew and Tal are great fans of the Harry Potter stories and The Chronicles of Narnia. “Let us weave a winter wonderland of our own making,” suggested Tal one night. “Echoland,” agreed Dew, “where everything glistens like ice, and the floors look like ponds you could walk on.” The two spent twelve years imagining a world that could never be and yet came to be in the pages of their story.

3. Let's talk about your book The Crystilleries of Echoland. @Christina Rose, the OBC reviewer, states echoes are mirror images of ourselves in a parallel world. How did you come up with this idea?

One night, long before I invented Dew Pellucid (which, consequently, meant I had no one to talk to), I suddenly remembered the ancient Greek philosopher, Plato. All cats are different, he basically said. Different colors, sizes, lengths, weights, meows... Still, when we see a cat, we know it’s not a dog. How do we know? Where do our universal ideas come from?

Plato imagined a perfect place where all Universals exist. What we see around us, he posited, is just reflections, imperfect because we’re far away from the original realm of absolute truths.

“Hmmm…” I ventured. “What if a land of reflections really existed? What if the people there thought they were just echoes of far-off sounds, imperfect, second-best? Would they kill an Echo when his Sound died, to preserve a harmony between the realms? Would they pray to the moon—that giant crystal ball in the sky—to keep their Sound safe? Would they send Fate Sealers to kill Sounds in that perfect realm, whenever they wanted Echoes to die in theirs?

Strange ideas kept flooding my mind.

4. With four honorable mentions, one runner-up, one second place, and one first place, this book truly is award winning. Are there any plans to make this a series?

I love visiting Echoland, and I have imagined another story. It delves deeper into the past, into how Echoland came to be, who made this secret underground world—and how. The story begins in a museum with paintings drawn with Living Water that moves and breathes. But I don’t know if I will ever write the story. For me, a very strong, fast-moving plot is essential in a teen fantasy, and this requires so much thought and such contortions of the mind that I don’t know if I will find time again to slip away from my own world for so long.

5. Tell us more about the main characters Will and Emmy Cleary. Are they based on anyone you know? How did you, as an author, come up with their names?

Many OBC reviewers mentioned that my story has numerous heroes, each with a leitmotif of his own that weaves into the main storyline. Of course, you’re right, Will and Emmy Cleary set off the spark that changes everything. Will’s name embodies his courage, his will-ingness to face any challenge, his unbreakable will. Emmy is a soft-sounding, beautiful name that I love, nothing more. Cleary is an Echo name, a derivative of things that are clear, like water.

6. Christina Rose avers that fans of Harry Potter will enjoy this series. Have you read that series and would you agree with her assessment?

Without a doubt, Will and Peter at the Orphanage of Castaway Children evoke Harry and Ron at Hogwarts, as do Valerie and Hermione. Many reviewers on OBC noticed the similarity to Harry Potter. Some loved it, some thought my book was actually totally different, and many felt that Echoland was unique, a place they’ve never been to before. So, yes, if you like Harry Potter you will likely enjoy Echoland. But it’s best to experience Will’s adventure without expecting it to be like anything you’ve read in the past.

7. If you were to make a movie of The Crystilleries of Echoland, who would you cast as the leads?

This is a question I hope OBC readers will answer for me. Who would you cast as Will Cleary, the boy who looks like a scarecrow but is the Sound of a prince? Who would you cast as Valerie Valerian with her enormous, swimming-pool eyes all lost in shadow because she was tortured in Shadowpain? How about the quirky, bruise-faced magician, Peter? Or Auralius, the golden haired prisoner of the Ant Chamber? And, of course, Poudini, the dog who steals the show for so many readers?

I always enjoy ending on a few fun questions.

8. If you could have any superpower what would it be?

An impossible superpower… to look my adorable, irresistible Pomeranian straight in his furry face and say, “Not now!” But that will never happen. My dogs (all 4 of them) rule supreme.

9. If you could have lunch with any historical figure, dead or alive, who would it be?

There are several. I wish I could slip into the Sistine Chapel silently to watch Michelangelo paint the ceiling. I wish I could spend an evening talking with Victor Hugo about why his mesmerizing novels always end so sadly. I wish I could meet Ayn Rand anywhere she dictated to say thank-you for giving me the wisdom and courage to make my life great. And I wish I could go back in time and send my sixteen-year-old self to find my soul mate eleven years sooner.

10. What is your favorite color?

Colors are like my moods; I wear a different one every day. Fashion is my hobby, and I make my own clothes. I wear every color in its moment—all the colors except white, which is no color at all because it failed to choose just one.

12. If you were to go on a picnic, what would you pack?

Sitting on a green hilltop, wind, sun, a guitar and time away from the world—I want a huge plate of fruit in every color, shape and sweetness.

Another very interesting interview. Thank you, Tal Boldo, for taking the time out of your busy day to answer some mundane questions. Tune in next week for more author interviews!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Thanks, kandscreeley for this absorbing and fascinating interview. I enjoyed the answer to question # 5 a lot. It was interesting to know how the author did come up with the names of the main characters. Sorry, I can't answer for question 7. As (you might not believe me.) I never saw a Hollywood movie. This interview will surely help to discuss this upcoming book of the month.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
lildallface
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lildallface »

Great interview!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What fun that Tal is living her tale! I'll have to think of a name for my echo, too.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It sounds like a very interesting book written by a similarly interesting lady. Great job on the insightful interview, Sarah. And thanks also to Tal for sharing herself through the interview as well. :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Great interview! It's wonderful to see where some of the inspiration for this book came from.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I didn't know if its okay to use a pen name for a novel instead of using your real names. I am enlightened. Great interview.
TutorGirlCheyenne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tutorgirlcheyenne.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by TutorGirlCheyenne »

Having just finished a review of this book it was great to read this interview. I loved getting to learn how to author came up with the character names.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Thanks for the interview Kandscreeley and Tal for letting us know about yourself. While I read this information relaid to us, I took to it heart to learn that language of Hebrew, if ever I get the chance. Please think about making your book a series due to the ideas that your mind generates. At times, it the author who decides the pace of the story. Think about the high school musical, the first part was fast, but the second was slowed down- in my opinion. That did not spoil the series one bit, up until today I still look forward to watching it over and over again. Its not about pace, but the quality of characters and the plot. Remember your are the author, hence the director of our minds and fantasies. The beginning of the next book in the series is great, concentrate and give your mind time you may come up with a story that you will enhance with time.

Return to “Author Interviews”