Official Interview: Tina Dreffin

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Tina Dreffin

Post by kandscreeley »

Good day my fellow readers!

This interview features Tina Dreffin author of Bluewater Walkabout which was book of the month in September 2017.

First, I would encourage you to read the reviews for Bluewater Walkabout. There are two.

Official Review by @L_Therese

Official Review by @Rachaelamb1

Without further ado, let's get to the answers.

First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I'll try to start off with some easy questions first.

1. Tell us about who you are. What do you like to do when you aren't writing or adventuring?

When I'm not writing or adventuring, I read. Books are my entertainment. When growing up, I hid on the top tier of a tri-bunk bed with a pile of National Geographic magazines and pretended I was on location. Books motivated me. Books took me away into a magical world.

2. I see from your bio that you have two children. I'm sure you are proud of them. How do they feel about you writing a book?

My sons are very proud of the Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa since the book is about them. The book won the IPPY Nonfiction Book Award in May 2017. I flew to New York City from the Bahamas to attend the gala and collect my award. I have also written another memoir about our family travels. A third is due out next month. All are sequels to our voyage around the world in a sailboat. My sons laugh at the anecdotes which are family memories–some truly unbelievable unless you've been adventuring and know how things can go horribly wrong very quickly.

3. Let's talk about Blue Water Walkabout. The OBC reviewer talks about being able to live vicariously through your adventures on the sea. Was that your goal when writing the book?

My goal in writing Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa was to inspire families to put down their devices and adventure travel with their kids. Take kids off of social media and get out to see the real world. Kids today get upset if they don't have enough Instagram followers in school. There's so much more in life to see and experience. Adventuring brings life transformation to kids. Once kids return from family adventures, they're a new and different person with new goals in life after having experienced new cultures and people. People all over the world are kind and friendly whether you're in a Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Jewish country.

4. Which was harder, raising two teenagers or living life on the sea?

That's a good question. Raising two teenagers with aggressive personalities was the hardest on board. Being the only woman on the boat, it was a true challenge to teach my sons respect. Teenagers are truly reared by a village when living on land: a coach, teacher, church leader, good neighbor or relative. But aboard a boat, I was their main female role model with little support since we were on the move and adventuring. I was their sole teacher from K-1 to 5th grade. My husband took over homeschooling at grade 6 when my sons started that tough phase of emotional discord.

5. From what I can tell, you're a pretty normal person. A mom of two with a husband. How did you decide to adventure on the sea and how were you able to do so?

When I first met my husband, Peter, he was already adventuring aboard a boat. His sister is married to my brother so I often heard about Peter's interesting lifestyle. The three of them were preparing to sail around the world and my brother asked me to fly in and drive his car during his absence. When I arrived, Peter asked me if I was hungry at dusk and the rest became magnificent history.

We lived simply on the sea by catching and spearing fish and bought produce from the farmers. A lot of money can be saved when there are no car insurances, mortgages, health insurances, etc. I began to write magazine and newspaper articles to help pay our way. With our meager savings, Peter became a smart investor. I owned a sundress, a couple bikinis, and a pair of flip flops. KISS: "keep it simple, stupid" became our motto.

6. What is your advice to others who would like to travel but feel they can't for one reason or another?

Everyone can travel. Objections to being able to travel is an excuse not to but it's not real. If you truly want to travel, there's always a way. If you look at life differently that way, the things that you look at actually change. Suddenly, you're out there traveling. Yes, there are big hurdles to transit, but if you're truly serious and brave about adventure traveling, you can go as far and wide as you want. There never is the perfect time to travel. Just go. You'd be amazed at how things always work out, no matter what goes wrong. Have faith. If you don't have faith, it'll come to you when you travel. People are amazing around the world, no matter what language they speak. After having journeyed into 84 countries, I've never met a vengeful person or official. Many want to take me into their homes to learn more about what it's like in America.

7. Now that you've accomplished this, what's your next dream?

My next dream is already transpiring. I'm working on speaking and presenting slideshows–set to interesting foreign music–to public groups. Pictures create dreams. I have 5,000 images to share and inspire people to get out and travel. To just go.

8. Is there anything else about the book that you would like readers or potential readers to know?

Be prepared to read very personal anecdotes about my earlier life. I included certain experiences that have never before been shared due to the intimate and tragic details. I want women to know that travel also brings healing. Just because a person is a victim of a crime and becomes wounded, doesn't mean you'll never heal and go on to live an interesting life. Bad stuff happened to me. I reached out into the world to seek answers and found them in loving foreigners. Once I witnessed women walking miles to gather clean drinking water, families in poverty, and in countries ravaged by civil war, my inner problems appeared inconsequential. It was an immediate transformation for me.

Now for a few fun questions.

9. What is your favorite book? Movie?

Eat, Pray, Love is surely my favorite book. Wild is my favorite movie. I love how the intimacy and adventure shared in both nonfiction works.

10. What type of music or band do you listen to most?

James Taylor since his brother lives in the Bahamas near us and our kids hung out together. James used to jam in the hotel bars back in the 70's when we first started adventuring in our boat in the Exumas, Bahamas. Ballads about real life interest me most.

11. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

I would like the super power to make people believe in the impossible and then go do it. I light up inside when I see people reach for the stars.

12. What's your favorite sport and team?

My favorite sport is spearfishing with a manual sling, sans speargun, to grab my fresh catch-of-the-day. I haven't watched TV for 40 years, so I don't have a team. What's that? Just kidding...

13. Are there any other books or websites you'd like to mention while you have the chance?

Adventure Book Trailer–Adventure on the High Seas is my website with two book trailers about my two books. (http://bluewaterwalkabout.com) It gives you an idea of what life is like on the high seas. Welcome Adventurers | Tina Carlson-Dreffin | Tina Dreffin tells you a bit more about my life. (http://tinacarlsondreffin.com)

Again, I'd like to thank Ms. Dreffin for her time. I love learning where books have come from.

It's not too late to join the book of the month discussion.

Book of the month discussion

I'd also like to mention that this book is free to read on Kindle Unlimited.

Purchase Kindle edition

Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice! Thank you both! I enjoyed reading the interview. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks gali! I enjoyed how she urges everyone to go adventuring and points out how it can be done by anyone!
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What an interesting interview! Thanks to both Kandscreeley and the author for thought-provoking questions and very interesting responses. Now I want to read the book to learn more. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I love her sense for adventure. I am well traveled and do it whenever and however I can. Quite expensive though. Nice interview, I hope to visit The Bahamas someday soon.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie and Julius! I love how she's trying to get everyone to get away from technology for just a little while and spend time with each other!
—Neil Gaiman
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Great conversation! I really enjoyed the depth and style of this interview, so professional. I think we all need some travel adventure-experiences to break the routines of life and also get exposed to other cultures. It is impressive that Tina Dreffin accomplished this as a wife and a mother, undeterred.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I completely agree KlareAllison! The fact that she did this travelling with two teenage boys is completely amazing to me!
—Neil Gaiman
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

That was a really in-depth interview. Thank you for taking out time for this.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks @Atabon Della. You should check out the interview by Charlie Sheldon as I see that's your latest book review!
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I always enjoy reading the author interviews!
Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks klbradley! I love seeing where the inspiration from these books have come from.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love Tina Dreffin's sense of adventure! Her idea of adventure is admirable to those with similar quests. I personally don't have the desire, but I can see how those that do would find her inspirational.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Absolutely CatInTheHat! I love how she wants to accomplish something and then just does it. She doesn't let anyone or anything hold her back!
—Neil Gaiman
Annette Boateng
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 331

Post by Annette Boateng »

I am sure the interviewee is feeling free inside right now. Cool interview though.

Return to “Author Interviews”