Official Interview: Tara Basi

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Tara Basi

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Tara Basi author of Seven at Two Past Five.

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition (Free on Kindle Unlimited

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Let's discuss your book Seven at Two Past Five. Can you give us a quick synopsis?

Abi loves her solitude and button-making. One morning both are threatened, and she embarks on a 24-hour, surreal odyssey to restore normality. Ultimately, Abi remembers that companionship has its benefits, zips have their advantages, and faith is all.

2. Where did the idea for the book come from?

A version of the first chapter was written as a sample of my work in 2014, prior to an interview to join a novel writing course. At the interview I was asked what the novel would be about. I had no idea. By the end of the course, a year later, I did, and it was completed four years later.

3. Abi is an interesting character. How would you describe her in only a few words?

Irritating, opinionated windbag, who grows on you.

4. What audience was the book written for?

Me. I like exploring concepts and characters that I find interesting. If others like my work that’s a wonderful bonus.

5. One reviewer states that the book is an "allegory mixed with parable." Is this accurate? Is there a central theme?

It’s one possible description. It’s also been described as Monty Python meets Kafka and Dante. Or, a Pilgrim's Progress, Alice in Wonderland mash-up. The central theme is faith. Specifically, losing it and finding it.

6. It's also mentioned that the book contains spirituality or religion. Is the story geared toward a particular religion?

No. Though a specific religious framework is used as scaffolding.

7. Many of the characters' names are numbers. Where do they come from? Do we find out in the story?

That’s not quite true. Abi is referred to as Seven by many characters, which she finds irritating. Seven is the number of her bunk-bed-coffin. A key part of Abi’s journey is to remember her true name and Zero’s.

8. What was the hardest part of the book to write? What was most enjoyable?

The hardest were the first chapter and the last two. The first because I wanted to establish Abi’s character and situation at the outset, without making it too tedious for the reader, and laying all the foundations for what was to come. And the last two chapters, to ensure the end would be satisfying to the reader after everything I’d put them through. In short, for it all to finally make sense, without it being trite (it was all a dream) or incomplete (that doesn’t explain X and Y). However, the text does ask a lot of the reader to join up the dots. The fun part was the giant flying bats and the courtroom scenes.

9. Are you working on another book?

After writing such a dense literary text, I’ve been working in a more flash style for two collections of short pieces and novellas, Frank – The Collection, out now. And The Mission - Collection, out in January. Also in January, a unique collaboration with an artist to illustrate one of my short stories. It will be published as an A4 book – Re-Boot. Early in 2023, Unipolar, a near future, comic political novel, set in Whitstable (Kent England) focuses on a left-behind community. Later in 2023, Regression, an epic speculative work examining the perils and virtues of being nice.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

Such a short and sweet interview. 💕 Though I did not fully understand the synopsis of the story, I did find Abi's character interesting and unique. The author's answer of 'writing books for herself' and others enjoying it as an outcome was interesting as well. Wish her the best of wishes for her upcoming work!
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl
Xylina Graf
Favorite Book: The Giving Tree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xylina-graf.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Xylina Graf »

This interview makes me want to read the story! The author's explanation for character names was very original
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

“The central theme is faith, losing it, and finding it", this is amazing. I think I can understand this concept because I can relate to this rising and falling situation, especially with the topic of faith.
This is an amazing interview, I would like to see how the characters are merged, especially the lead character, I would like to see how she handles the different challenges she is faced with.

Return to “Author Interviews”