Official Interview: E. Alan Fleischauer

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features E. Alan Fleischauer author of Reconfigurement (among many other books).

Purchase on Amazon

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When did you decide to try your hand at writing? How many books have you written?

I began to write—books that is—very late in life, as I’m 68 years young. My first novel was a western entitled Rescued that was published in 2015. Fortunately, it won first place in the Laramie Awards, which gave me the motivation to continue. Since then, I have completed ten books. And more to come . . . hopefully.

2. What does success look like to you?

Success to me, at least in writing, is to have people enjoy what I write. I don’t write to make a lot of money. And I don’t do it by chasing the hottest genre—which, by the way, is a moving target and impossible to predict, if you ask me. So far, the bulk of my book reviews have been positive, and that is all I can hope for.

3. Let's discuss your book Reconfigurement. What is the book about?

My book Reconfigurement is long overdue, but it may well change your life. Reconfigurement is about reconfiguring your life, especially if you’re approaching forty or fifty years of age. My personal “reconfigurement” happened in my fifties when I had a mild stroke. In hindsight, it was one of the better things that have happened to me. As a result, my right brain woke up and I started to write—not only this book but ten fiction books as well. They include many award winners and one bestseller. You can find them on my website http://www.ealanfleischauer.com/.

This book, Reconfigurement, is focused on planning ahead, working in a job that you love, and having fun—lots of fun—before you retire. It covers career testing, investing, life protection, and affordable health insurance. It also has a chapter on retirement planning, long-term care alternatives, and interesting facts about your 401(k) or IRA. There is even a chapter on Social Security strategies, with a section debunking various Social Security myths. You will learn from each chapter, and each one is short and to the point. The book is entertaining, engages its readers, and throws in some decent jokes along the way. You will be glad you read Reconfigurement. Enjoy, and go ahead and change your life!

4. You've written both fiction and non-fiction. Which was easier and why?

I enjoy writing both fiction and nonfiction. On the other hand, I’ve written only one nonfiction book, Reconfigurement. It was fun, but it included much more research than my fiction does. In fiction, I write free-form, which means no outline. Given that I’ve done nine fiction books to date, the question of what I prefer is pretty obvious.

5. Who is the book most appropriate for?

Reconfigurement is appropriate for folks from 30 to 60 years of age. It gives good advice on careers, investments, and financial plans as well as retirement plans and much more. And, I might add, it does so in a lighthearted, easy-to-read manner.

6. Why now?

The pandemic and the resulting epidemic, so to speak, of people quitting their jobs triggered my release of this book. There is a wonderful chapter on career testing, sharing tools and advice all the way from the decades-old Myers-Briggs to the latest career quizzes and guides. I paid for a dozen of them, of course taking all of them, and the book offers feedback on each. Very timely.

7. The cover is beautiful. Is that an actual mountain? A metaphorical mountain? Just a pretty picture?

Yes, the cover is very beautiful and is the result of the efforts of my go-to writing gal, Melinda Nelson. She found the photo online and my graphic designer, Elena Karoumpali from 99 Designs, took it from there. And yes, it’s a real mountain—at least in the front.

8. What's next? Are you working on another book?

I am indeed working on another book. It is entitled The Doctor Is Invisible. A thriller. Mucho fun!

I like to end with fun questions.

9. Who's your hero?

My hero is my mother, Mary Lou Fleischauer. She is 94 years young and still living in the house I grew up in. She only quit playing tennis at 92 because all the other gals she played with had dropped out. But she still plays on occasion. She was the glue that held our family together as I was growing up. A saint, in my eyes. We now call her “Gammy.” Smile.

10. What author do you most admire?

Good question. I love John Sandford, the author of the Prey series. He happens to live in Minnesota, just like me. I love Lee Child, of course, who doesn’t. Michael Connelly and his Harry Bosch books are outstanding, as well as the TV series about him on Amazon Prime. I admire all of them.

11. Scorching heat or freezing cold?

Hmmm . . . do I like scorching heat or freezing cold? How about neither? Ha. I guess heat would win out.

12. What's your ideal vacation?

My ideal vacation? Double hmmm. My wife Paula and I love the Caribbean, St. John, and St. Thomas. We have a timeshare on Grand Cayman. We love to snorkel. But I would love to go to Italy, to see the sights and spend a week in a cooking school. I like to cook a lot.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

A beautiful interview with an author of a beautifully written book. Amazing.
Marizél Kahl
Favorite Book: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariz-l-kahl.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Marizél Kahl »

Wow, I actually think this book could be beneficial for anyone starting a career or their lives outside of school. Planning ahead is important.
I would love to read Reconfigurement.
Bhavetri D
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bhavetri D »

Lovely interview with beaming, delightful response. I love the fact he says 94 years old young. It shows purpose in life. That in itself is remarkable. I'd love to read Reconfigurement.
Hassan Diab

Post by Hassan Diab »

I actually think this book could be beneficial for anyone starting a career or their lives outside of school. Planning ahead is important.

A beautiful interview with an author of a beautifully written book. Amazing.
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by jemimapaul »

Wonderful interview! I would like to get advice on careers, investments, and financial plans as well as retirement plans and much more. Can’t wait to read it!
prestigie m

Post by prestigie m »

I believe this book is beneficial to anyone leaving high school and entering the work world. The advice in this book will be beneficial and intriguing for young minds as well as your target audience.
Can't wait
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

My personal “reconfigurement” happened in my fifties when I had a mild stroke. In hindsight, it was one of the better things that have happened to me.
I hope E. Alan Fleischauer is now enjoying good health. Experiencing a stroke can be a 'wake up call', a warning about managing your life. It's fortunate that this resulted in some positive changes and commendable that he was able to embrace the change in his creative skills.
After reading the interview I'm expecting Reconfigurement to contain genuine advice and humour, so I'd like to read it. Thank you.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

😂 I really love the beginning where he says he began at 67 years young. Also, I too feel that the best time to write books are when we are older because of the experience and skills that most have been learned over the years.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Now that I have heard from the author, I know I need to read this book!! I like that it's about careers and for people in my age bracket.
Nyoks

Post by Nyoks »

After reading the author's interview, I know the book will be full of gems and from his exposition, I suspect the book will be helpful in my life. I can't wait to start off this journey with this book.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Fantastic interview. I am so inspired that he started his writing career at the age of 68. Many times people think they are to old to start a career. Another thing that struck me was his mother stopped playing tennis at 92.
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amberly Ayra »

It is a very nice interview. I like to read when an author thanks the people who were with him. The answers are simple and honest.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Excellent interview! I like getting to know the authors of the books that I read. Even though this is Fleischauer's only nonfiction book so far, I believe it will help an endless amount of people to have a happier, stable, and secure life in their later years!
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I would really like to read this book. Life is too short to work on what you don't like. Fulfilment is way better than gathering wealth while being unhappy.

Return to “Author Interviews”