Official Interview: Debi Chestnut

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Debi Chestnut

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Debi Chestnut author of Bad Karma.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I can’t remember ever not wanting to be a writer. In school, when other kids would groan about having to write a paper or a story, I was cheering inside. My Great Aunt was an English professor at one of the local colleges, and she was the reason I fell in love with the written word. She always encouraged me to write my stories down, and I’ll be forever grateful to her.

My parents wanted me to do something ‘more practical', so I went to college to be a paralegal. I got married young and had children. When my children went out on their own, that’s when I started writing in earnest.

2. Describe your perfect writing environment.

My home office is actually my perfect writing environment. It’s calm and quiet. I usually have incense or an essential oil diffuser going. All my favorite books and reference books are neatly, or not so neatly depending on the day, arranged on my bookshelves. I had all my book covers framed, and they are hanging on one of the walls to encourage me when I get frustrated or stressed about my work in progress. I can gaze out my window at Lake St. Clair, and my black and tan Labrador Retriever is normally sleeping on his bed next to my roll top desk. It doesn’t get any better than that.

3. What authors have most inspired you?

Sue Grafton, Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lilian Jackson Braun, Dan Brown, Ted Dekker

4. Let's talk about your book Bad Karma. Why a mystery?

I’ve always been drawn to puzzles and mysteries. Like many people, I grew up reading Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, The Happy Hollisters, and the like. Ever since I was a child my mind conjured up plots for books and they were all mysteries. It just seemed like a natural fit.

In Bad Karma, I had the basic plot running around in my head for about a year or so before I found the right character for the story. While I was online doing some research for something completely unrelated, I stumbled across a website for information professionals. I read about what an information professional does, and the character of Zoey Callaway was born. She just fit into the plot so well, I had to tell the story.

5. The book takes place in Hope Harbor, Michigan. Is this a real town or based on a real town?

Hope Harbor is based on a real town in Michigan not too far from where I live. The real town is New Baltimore, but I’ve moved some stores, added some stores, and changed names of restaurants and other places.

6. What was the most difficult part of the writing and publishing experience for you? What was the easiest?

The most difficult part of the writing experience for me was knowing when to stop self-editing. Every time I’d read through the manuscript I’d think of new scenes, strive to make every word count, or spend hours going through a thesaurus to find a better word. There comes a time when you just have to say, “Enough” and convince yourself that the manuscript is completed.

The easiest part of the writing process to me is coming up with plots for my books. As my friends tell me: my mind must be a scary place to be sometimes – and they aren’t lying. A news story, a picture, or even taking our boat out on a sunny day can trigger a scene or plot for a book. I love my job!

As for the publishing experience, the most difficult part for me was a twofold problem. I wanted to find a publisher that was easy to work with and responsive to their authors. I knew I also wanted to work with a small to medium sized publisher because I didn’t want to get lost in the shuffle, and I found everything I wanted with Cayelle Publishing.

The easiest part of the publishing experience for me was working with my editors at the publishing houses. Every time I work with an editor, I learn so much about how to improve my writing.

7. The reviewer mentions that the book has clean language, no erotic scenes, and no graphic violence. Was this to target a specific audience?

I didn’t intentionally target a specific audience when I wrote Bad Karma. I write the kind of books I like to read, and I enjoy cozy mysteries with a bit of an edge to them.

8. This appears to be a book one. Is the next book out yet? Can you tell us more about it?

The next book is not out yet but should be released sometime this year. It’s called Legacy of Blood. In Legacy, Zoey meets a young woman named Adrianna Martinelli quite by accident when the body of a woman is left on Adrianna’s porch. The dead woman has a cryptic note addressed to Adrianna safety pinned to her skin. Zoey wants to help her new friend find out who is targeting her. The question is: can Zoey stop the murderer before she becomes one of their victims?

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. Would you rather go 30 days without your phone or a lifetime without dessert?

Without my phone. I rarely take my cellphone with me anywhere. I generally connect with my friends, family, and fellow authors online. I’m pretty reclusive and introverted by nature – plus who would ever want to give up cheesecake and chocolate cake?

10. Do you have any superstitions?

I really don’t have any superstitions per se however, I remember my Mom telling me to never put my shoes on a table because it is bad luck. I think of that if I’m ever even tempted to set my shoes down on any thing other than the floor.

11. What's your favorite quote?

I actually have three favorite quotes.

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Write what scares you!

A professional writer is an amateur that didn’t quit.

12. Is there a word you have a particularly hard time spelling?

Yes! Curiosity – I have to look it up every time.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

Good for you for following your dreams and pursuing what you really were passionate about! I loved Bad Karma. Looking forward to Legacy of Blood!
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

Congratulations Debi you have done well for yourself. I look forward to read legacy of blood and other books you will write un the future.All the best!!!
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by AngieOdeh »

Congratulations Debi, it is really mesmerizing to know that one can still follow his passion after having family. Maybe in the future, when my kids grow up and my life is less busy, I'll follow your steps, you are a source of inspiration. I can't wait to read more of your books.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Congratulations Debi on following your dream of becoming an author! I enjoyed reading about your writing environment and the authors who inspired you.

Kandscreeley, thanks for all of your hard work conducting these interviews!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Author Interviews”