Official Interview: Naomi McDonald

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Naomi McDonald

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Naomi McDonald author of Away to Me, My Love.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Who or what has been the most influential in your life?

My spiritual teachers of metaphysics and quantum physics. Without them I would not be living the healthy, fulfilled life I am now.

2. What does the area you where you write look like?

Weather permitting, on my patio surrounded plants and flowers. Otherwise, at a desk in my office in front of a window.

3. Can you tell us about your "aha" moment? The moment you decided you needed to write a book?

When I told ‘Luke’ stories my friends would laugh and say, “You learned so much from him, you need to write a book.” I never wanted to be a writer; in fact, the thought horrified me. That’s when I knew I had to. Underneath it all, I always felt that sharing his story was something I should do for Luke.

4. Let's talk about your book Away to Me, My Love. The book talks about a sheepdog named Luke. Can you tell us a little more about Luke?

Besides the fact, that he was the most handsome Border Collie ever! Border Collies are often called the most intelligent of dogs. Take that intelligence and add devotion and work ethic. Then, top it off with human-like loving eyes. I feel so blessed to have had him in my life.

5. What was the most difficult part of writing the book?

Starting at the bottom of the writer’s knowledge department was incredibly hard. Once I made myself put keyboard keys to the memories, it took four years and three editors to finish the project. Each editor taking me to a different level of knowledge and understanding of the craft. Thankfully, I never lost my voice and intention for the book in the process. I did, however, develop a very thick skin.

If I could give anyone advice that has a passion to share their story: Everyone starts at a different level of knowledge. When the self-doubt comes screaming in, find a place to hide it away and keep going.

6. What has been the most rewarding part of publishing this story?

Chapter six is a childhood flashback where my military father tells me not to write to him until my penmanship is acceptable. The fear of communicating in written form terrified me. Finishing the story, having it published and well-reviewed is something I needed to do to overcome that old trauma.

Most importantly, having people tell me it helped them.

7. The book is about Luke, but it's also about you and your journey in life. Was everything in the book real or was there anything that was embellished?

The events in the book are true. I did combine characters and embellish venue settings for the sheep trials.

An interesting fact: I submitted the manuscript to the publisher as a fiction based on a true story. They came back and called it nonfiction. I told my husband, “It can’t be nonfiction. Bart Bromstead is a combination of three people; he’s not real.” My husband said, “Yes he is. All the hateful things he says to you in the book, I’ve heard you say to yourself. The man is a tall, dark, male version of your shadow.”

Interesting, how revealing and healing writing can be.

8. What's next for you? Is there another story in your future?

I’m currently working on a book of short stories that combine metaphysics with my animal communication intuitive practice.

Then— a fantasy series.

I like to end on a few fun questions, but you can feel free to skip these.

9. What's your most unusual writing quirk?

I’m constantly writing down phrases from different sources: The Game of Thrones, comedies, authors such as, Jim Butcher, Michael J. Sullivan. When I’m stuck, sifting through the bits of paper calms my mind. Reworking the phrases often jump starts the creative process.

10. What's your favorite genre to read and why?

I study physics as it applies to creating our world. Sometimes I wish to escape, so I love a good epic fantasy.

11. What is your favorite word and why?

“Aha,” don’t know why. I just seem so say it often.

12. Why did the chicken cross the road?

To see the world from a different perspective.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”