Official Interview: Robert Leet

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Robert Leet

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Robert Leet author of Timewise, upcoming book of the month.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Tell us about your first writing experience.

I am 72, and Timewise is my first novel. I did write poetry and short stories in college, but lost interest in the literary scene. Looking back I am not unhappy I did not pursue writing, but I view my disenchantment of the time more as a commentary on my immaturity than a indictment of the state of literature.

2. Growing up, did you always want to be an author?

No. To me writing is about communication; it is about whether I have something to say. I would love to sell many books, but I do not want to depend on selling them the feed myself.

3. What would you consider the most influential book in your life?

I guess I’m going to say The Odyssey, but mostly because I read it (in translation) when I was 12, and it was the first serious adult literature I had read. So it got me hooked and colored everything that followed.

4. Let's discuss your book Timewise. Why science fiction?

There is a commonly known scientific theory postulating that the universe is conscious. From my readings of the Vedas and Buddhist literature I came around to the idea that saying the universe is based on awareness rather than consciousness is more fruitful, and I wanted to convey that idea. I suppose I could write an essay for Medium (and maybe I will yet), but I thought a novel might reach more people also be more fun to do. Given that decision, the novel pretty much had to be science fiction.

5. The book is clearly discussing advanced concepts like quantum physics. Did you mean for the book to have a specific audience, like scientists? Or would you consider this to be one that all could enjoy?

I hoped to write a book so that someone conversant with science would recognize I have described standard physics accurately and be intrigued by my ideas. I also hoped to include enough background material so any curious person could follow the logic enough to understand the story with some effort, and also be intrigued. I knew from the beginning that anyone not willing to do a little mental work would be overwhelmed, but I don’t think there’s any way around that obstacle. C. P. Snow famously described the two cultures of humanities and science diverging, and it is something I have always tried to avoid in my life.

6. How much research went into the concepts in the book?

On my Facebook web site for Porter Field Publishing I list a number of books on the science behind Timewise, many by Nobel prize winning physicists, including Einstein. I have read and thought about the nature of reality for a long time. Also, I am a structural engineer, so naturally I understand the mathematics behind the physics.

7. Are the characters based on actual people?

Two friends of mine who have very little to do with the literary world (one is a contractor and the other a farmer who told me this was the first book he has read since high school) read my novel. Both told me the one thing they especially liked was the people seemed and spoke like people they knew, or could know. So the answer is, these may not be specific people, but I tried to create characters who behaved like people I know.

8. Some of the reviewers discuss that the ending is left somewhat unsettled and there is the potential for a sequel. Are you planning another book? If so, can you tell us a bit about it?

I am writing another novel, but it is not a sequel and I have no plans for one. The ending is simply a literary device, because I do not like tidy endings; they strike me as unbelievable. I hope some readers will think about the possibilities of these characters with their abilities out there now. (Who knows, I may change my mind.)

9. How can readers connect with you?

The best way is to write to me at [email protected]. Porter Field Publishing also has a page on Facebook.

I like to end on a few fun questions.

10. What is your favorite TV show or movie?

We just got our TV hooked up after a hiatus of many years. I used to watch Big Cat Diary episodes over and over; now my wife and I got hooked on the BBC cop comedy New Tricks. Next up is the recent documentary on Grant. I don’t watch much TV.

11. Can you tell us one of your favorite jokes?

There were two laborers, Ron and George, digging a trench one day. After a while George climbed out of the ditch and started telling Ron what to do. At first Ron didn’t pay his buddy much attention, but after a while he started to get miffed. “What the hell are you doing up there anyway? We got to finish this today.” “Everyone knows one good supervisor is worth ten workers. It’s like we have 10 men down there instead of just 2.” So Ron popped out of the ditch and sat opposite George and started motioning and talking at the empty hole. “Now what are you doing?” asked George. “Damn, George, it’s like we got 20 guys down there!”

12. If, like the characters in your book, you could see into the future just a bit, what would you want to look at and why?

Interestingly, I never think that way. I truly believe awareness creates time and am much more interested in awareness than the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Edgardo Buelva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgardo-buelva.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Edgardo Buelva »

I am reminded about my Hindu industrialist friend who used to discuss with me some Vedas and Buddhist literature. But I am particularly fascinated when he told me that India's ornately beautiful worship structures are built by having the icon or religious image put in its place first before the construction begins. I wonder now if faith somehow is akin to a quantum postulate which being quantumlike, we won't just yet get close enough to understand.
Kevin Okoth 1
Favorite Author: Richard Schwartz
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 42043

Post by Kevin Okoth 1 »

I love the authors idea based on research in science. He has taught me things that i would have never imagined, like the quantum physics.
Peter Virdee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Peter Virdee »

Good idea author, thank you for sharing the interview here , it is really impactful.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Awareness and consciousness both are considered in the Indian mythology and culture as very important elements in spiritual attainments. It is amazing that the author has used some of these concepts in this book and I believe that this would be something new to be amalgamated in a science fiction.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
sajiddm49

Post by sajiddm49 »

So what about your next post? I'm really loving your books.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

Big kudos to the author for publishing his first novel in his late 60s! That's inspirational and encourages us to indeed communicate when we've got something to say. It could be on a forum, in a tweet or even in a science fiction novel.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

The fact that he wrote his first book at that age is incredible. Lovely interview!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks to both of you for a great interview! To the author - very impressive that you read The Odyssey when you were 12 years old.

Kandscreeley - what a great idea to ask the author to tell a favorite joke. Loved the joke!!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Koketso Motsai

Post by Koketso Motsai »

Lovely interview
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83091
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1067%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book is a combination of science _fiction in an intrigued story Ron Larsen started as a teenager with no more ambition than winning he meet phycist Regina and she becomes his mentor I like the part were they were trapped in uniqueness after trying a dangerous experiment.. nice book it is
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83091
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1067%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book is a combination of science _fiction in an intrigued story Ron Larsen started as a teenager with no more ambition than winning he meet phycist Regina and she becomes his mentor I like the part were they were trapped in uniqueness after trying a dangerous experiment.. nice book it is
thebabeseries

Post by thebabeseries »

Amen! We all need aa voice

Return to “Author Interviews”