Official Interview: Isabella Milan

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Isabella Milan

Post by kandscreeley »

Good evening! Today's Chat with Sarah features Isabella Milan author of Praying For A Miracle When It's Hopeless.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

*************************************************************************************************************

1. What book or author has most inspired you?

My favorite poet/writer/civil rights activist is/was Maya Angelou. She had a stunning life that inspired millions and continues to inspire people today.

2. What made you decide to take on the monumental task of writing a book?

When I would share my story with others, every person would respond with bewilderment,” You should write a book.” I finally shared my story formally.

3. Let's discuss your book, Praying For A Miracle When It's Hopeless. This is about your journey through terminal breast cancer. What was the single most important thing that helped you go in remission?

It was a process that involved much prayer. Initially I had great sadness for so many reasons. I realized that I missed my son mostly. I was ill-equipped to be without him. He was only 7-years-old at the time. I was a very involved mom since birth. From pre/post-natal yoga to, Kindermusik, mommy and me and swim safety classes; museum, aquarium, and arboretum visits; musicals, planetarium, science and space shows. Although, I was a stay-at-home mom, we were very busy. When he started school, I would help his teachers and have lunch with him often. So, to instantly take all that away from me was heart-breaking. I knew I had to get better for him.

4. I've heard so much about a positive attitude when dealing with a diagnosis of any chronic illness. How did you manage to stay positive despite all that was happening in your life?

To answer your question, prayer. I had to give my problems to God so I could have a positive outlook. In my book I describe Kubler-Ross’ theory on the 5 stages of Grief. I had to pass through these stages to get to Acceptance. When I got there, I felt such a sense of accomplishment. I was grateful for everything; my life, the fact I had a couch to sleep on and shelter to protect me. But I still missed my son. Something in my spirit kept telling me to be positive, to exercise, to find small things to uplift your mood. I didn’t know these actions were emotionally beneficial to me. I also didn’t know that I was getting “pushed” by God.

5. Was it difficult to relive this by discussing the events of your life in the book?

It was very challenging! It was difficult to relive those parts of my life. However, it was very cathartic to see where I was, what I had to experienced in those dark times, and how far I’ve come. I can’t be sad. I can only be grateful.

6. Who or what was most helpful to you in the writing and publishing of your book?

It was a group of people that were quite helpful.

My mother who kept my thoughts together. There were things that happened before the divorce when I was in ICU at Stanford Hospital that I have spotty memories of. I had limited memory of this period due to the amount of times I had surgery while there. Plus, I was still rehabbing from the cancer metastasis to my brain. She was a wonderful resource!

My Aunt Lynda. I could always bounce ideas off her, and she would tell me her thoughts of how I could get my thoughts across possibly by tweaking a sentence or two or moving a paragraph. She was kind of the Editor.

My friend M. Stewart kept encouraging me to write my story. When the book was done, she was a little disappointed that I didn’t include EVERYTHING that happened. I told her that my story is not a liberation for my benefit. The reason for telling my story was to tell others, they can do this also. To share uplifting information about success. For them to see themselves in my story. For them to know this diagnosis is not a death sentence.

7. Are you planning a book tour or motivational talks? Is there another book on the way?

I have given some motivational talks already. I haven’t scheduled more. But, I would like to give motivational talks to victims and survivors. As far as another book, I have one that I would like to have in-print. Currently all my focus is on promoting Praying for a Miracle when it’s hopeless.

I like to end on a few fun questions.

8. In a theme park, roller coasters or shows?

I would choose shows especially musicals. I love singing along if I know the songs. I was in musicals from age 10 to 16. My love of musicals started very young.

9. What's one of your hobbies?

One of my hobbies before I got ill was creating and running an e-store for baby and children luxury boutique items that I found helpful with my son. I created a website where I sold: Maya wraps, floppy seats, blankets, hooded towels, upholstered rocking chairs with ottomans, chalk cloths, personalized name books, gates, and much more. This wasn’t a hobby. It was something I loved doing. I guess my hobby was taking belly dance classes. I started taking the classes because I wanted to dance for my husband on our wedding night. I never stopped taking the classes until my illness. Now I love to attend poetry events which are offered often though The Black Academy of Letters and Arts.

10. Do you have a favorite quote?

My favorite quote is: “When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.’ -Franklin D Roosevelt
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Isabella Milan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Isabella Milan »

Wonderful Sarah!!!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Thank you Sarah and Isabella for organizing this emotional yet inspiring interview. I have learnt that in life, it's far much better to have atleast one thing to live and fight for, just like Isabella had her son.
I really appreciate.
Bet on Me! :idea:

Return to “Author Interviews”