Official Interview: Nathan Kippley

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Nathan Kippley

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Nathan Kippley author of Man of the Sea.

To view the first official review, click here.

To view the second official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. What are your hobbies?

I love to kayaking, hiking and anything whitewater. I am an avid traveler and love enjoying all the wonders of the world with my family.

2. How did you get started writing?

I’ve written stories since middle school, but always for myself – I never thought of publishing. My first full novel I finished at 22 years old and I have written ever since. I finally published Man of the Sea in 2017 after being encouraged by my few readers.

3. Who's been your biggest support while starting your writing career?

My family - parents, grandparents and siblings for reading my work and giving honest opinions. And my wife and boys, for allowing me the time to write.

4. What's your schedule look like when you're in the middle of a book?

My schedule is always a work in progress – but I do try to write every day; and if not writing at least a positive gain (ie. brainstorming, cover design, marketing). There are so many facets to bring a book to print, after the writing is done - it’s time to work.

5. Let's discuss Man of the Sea. It tells the story of an evil man who likes to murder unsuspecting fishermen. Why did you decide to tackle an urban legend like this?

I was definitely a pirate in my past life! I love Key West, I love the ocean, the endless mystery and the possibilities this story line brings. I would caution not to assume The Man of the Sea’s intentions – there will be a much more in-depth look coming very soon.

6. The book is set in the Florida Keys. How did you research the area?

I moved to Florida at 21 for an internship that paid $5.75 an hour. In my first six months in Florida I went from Orlando to Key West four times – I fell in love. I’ve slept on Smathers Beach, at the youth hostel, and even a gas station parking lot. Anything to be there, it’s the center of the earth to me. I have since moved on, but Florida and the Keys will always be a big piece of me.

7. Are your characters based on anyone in real life or completely from your imagination?

Initially my intentions we’re not to base my characters on anyone, but subconsciously I think it happened. I didn’t realize till a reader very close to me told me how much Silas and Joe remind them of two very good friends of mine – who are also brothers.

8. This is the first book in a series. When is the next due out and can you give us a brief synopsis?

The next book will be out in 2020, probably late summer. This is way past my expected timeline but the mind is a crazy thing, I have re-written way more than I had planned, but I really like it. The rough draft is pretty much complete, but I have a lot of cleaning up to do before sending it off to my editor. As far as a synopsis I can’t give much away – but I guarantee Silas has not, and will not give up looking for Joe and The Man of the Sea.

9. What are your future plans?

I will be publishing a book titled The Lucky Bat on March 1st 2020. This is a young adult book, but something I have had in the works for years – I am very excited to bring it to fruition.

How about a few fun questions.

10. What TV show would you most want to be a character in?

Survivor would be the show for me. I watch very little TV but I do think I could be the sole survivor. The other one would be Gold Rush – White Water, I love a treasure hunt.

11. What's been the best gift you've ever received?

I would say having fans. When you write a book, you put yourself out there. Some people will tear it apart in any way they can. A few people have reached out and cannot wait for another book, that’s the best. I have enjoyed how fast people read it – even the ones who say they didn’t like it were not able to put it down – that is mission accomplished as a writer.

12. Mountains or beach?

Both! I absolutely love nature – not one man made thing can compare to the beauty on this earth, but if I have to choose … I am a beach bum! I have always felt a strong need to be near the ocean.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks, Sarah, for letting us know more about the men and women behind the stories. I think authors usually write about characters in their lives, albeit unintentionally.

All the best, Mr. Kippley! I'm sure nature loves you back!
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Thanks Kandscreeley and Nathan for this interview, I have enjoyed reading each one of the words it contains. I think Nathan is a very lively soul. I have read the review by Rebeccasreading and drew a conclusion that the story seems more scary, but I am still looking at the possibility of reading the story wholly so that I discover how adventurous the author is.

Return to “Author Interviews”