Official Interview: Kyle Derby Pratt

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Kyle Derby Pratt

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Kyle Derby Pratt author of The Scary Snow Day.

To view the book on the bookshelves (and see the three official reviews), click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. When you aren't writing, what do you like to do?

I love to bake, cook, read, oil paint, watch TV/movies. I am attempting to teach myself how to play piano, I want to learn guitar, and I want to learn how to drive a semi.

2. Who's your favorite author to read?

Nora Roberts and Debbie Macomber, but I also like to read disease pathology books and other medical books – it helps me with my job as an ER & ICU Registered Nurse and it’s always a great idea to be able to answer your students’ questions!

3. Tell us about how you got started writing.

I started writing as a teenager in angst (insert laugh)! I have always LOVED John Denver music and as a teenager I really connected with his music. I think maybe because he wrote much of his own music and it told a story – his story, much of the time. I thought “I could do that” and so it began. I’d lay out on the pier with my cassette player and played my John Denver music and the words would just flow onto the paper. I have written mostly poems, but am working on 2 more children’s books and a grief book that will include my grief poems I have written since I lost my husband 2 ½ years ago.

4. Let's dive right into your book, The Scary Snow Day. What made you decide to write a children's book?

I had written this when my son was about 7 or 8 and he was afraid to sled down the hill out in front of our house. I wanted to tell a story of a little boy that, even though he had some doubts and trepidation, he still faced his fear head-on and conquered it. I wanted it to be straight to the point, relatable, without a lot of fluff, fun to read and see and have a positive and uplifting moral at the end.

5. In the book, Timmy has a snow day. He's excited, but he's afraid to go sledding. Is Timmy based on someone you know who's afraid?

Yes, this is based on my son. Even the pictures are similar to my son – he had brown hair and big, revealing blue eyes

6. Why did you choose fear as the theme for the book?

Because my son, Joshua, was afraid to sled down the hill out in front of our house. Now unlike in the story, Joshua did not go down the street and sled with other children because we live out in the country, so it was just him, one friend, his dad and me.

7. Any more adventures planned for Timmy?

Yes!! Timmy is going to go on some more adventures and he will likely overcome something along the way. I’d love to keep having a moral at the end of my stories, but we shall see how the next couple books go.

8. Are you planning on diving into the realm of adult books at all?

As a matter of fact, I am! I am working on a Grief book. My husband of 34 years passed away 2 ½ years ago and I went into a deep, dark depression. I really wanted to be able to read self-help books on grief but found that I was not able to read chapter books. I was looking for something helpful that had 1 or 2 pages of something to read that was helpful and then I was done for that moment. The next day then I would have another page or 2 to read and so on. So, I am planning on writing that type of book. I am currently working on it.

How about a few fun questions.

9. Would rather be stranded in the middle of an ocean or go shopping in a crowded mall during the Christmas season?

Hmmm……great question!! As much as I’d love to be in the middle of the ocean almost any other time of year, at Christmas, I have to choose shopping in a crowded mall. Why? The Christmas music, the decorations, the Christmas spirit…that would all be lost if I was in the middle of the ocean stranded by myself….I am assuming that stranded means no music, decorations and such.

10. Are you an early bird or a night owl?

I can be either. I am super flexible that way. That being said, I do like staying up late with a fire in the fireplace on a winter evening while reading or listening to soft music.

11. Who’s your favorite superhero?

Do you mean like Superman or something? Or a real person in my life?
As for the first – probably Iron Man.
For the second – my Grandpa, Gordon H. Derby Sr and my late husband, Ricky D Pratt.

12. What’s your favorite TV show or movie?

I have too many to choose just one. I do like Deadliest Catch, Mountain Men, Ice Road Truckers, Last Man Standing, Forged in Fire, Little House on the Prairie. As for movies, I LOVE Christmas movies!! Disney movies, Baby Boom and many, many more.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mi Mi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mi Mi »

I found it very funny to have a common attitude with the novelist,BTW, So exited to read the book 😍💚
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

I am a Great fun of these chats. They are always designed well to gather all the information from the author's. Wonderful responses from this author. I like the attitude.
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Very informative. Thank you!
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

Wonderful interview. Had alot of great things to offer. This author must be incredible.
Salaar123+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Salaar123+ »

Interesting
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

This interview is mind blowing in a way. The author being an ICU nurse has a very demanding job but she still managed to write . Its inspiring .
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Nora Roberts is also one of my favorite authors, but especially when she writes under JD Robb - these are more her crime books and I absolutely love the way she writes them. Thank you for an amazing interview with honest answers Kyle!
mahmudaparvin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mahmudaparvin »

Yes!! Timmy is going to go on some more adventures and he will likely overcome something along the way. I’d love to keep having a moral at the end of my stories, but we shall see how the next couple books go.bghtrrwey6556h678ijyr5u jklvvgyidtfsdr5n
Slimeball 555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slimeball-555.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Slimeball 555 »

Amazing interview. I definitely learnt a lot from this author. I'm confident that she is an amazing writer as well. Look forward to reading her books!
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I don't know what's more inspiring for me about this interview if it is the writer's strength in grief from losing her husband - who was her hero - or the writer's zeal even with a very demanding Job.
This for me was a very emotional interview and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Return to “Author Interviews”