Official Interview: Delene Sholes

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Delene Sholes

Post by kandscreeley »

Hello book lovers. Today's Chat with Sarah features Delene Sholes author of Real Principals Have No Class.

To view the book on OBC bookshelves and see the three official reviews, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. Other than being a retired educator, how would you define yourself?

I am the sum of my past names: childhood name Leney; early marriage name Skinny; Mom, Teacher, Artist, Principal. Camper, Boating Enthusiast.. . Woman who refuses to be defined by her age, who lives her life to the fullest.

2. Who was the biggest influence on you?

My parents had the greatest influence on me. Typical middle class, hard working people whose lives were devoted to bringing up my sister and me. They taught us how to love others.

3. Let's talk about your book, Real Principals Have No Class. What made you decide to write this story?

I thought it was a story worth telling. It’s about the trials and tribulations, joys and hardships of the school community. It almost wrote itself because I had kept notes through the years. I had written anecdotes about students, teachers, parents, and other members of the school community.

4. Why did you make the book fictional instead of a memoir?

I wanted to tell the stories of the people involved in a time of intense struggle and accomplishment. There were many incidents that I couldn’t use (threats by parents that were resolved peacefully), or incidents about students (victims of abuse, or other stories that might embarrass them) if published as a memoir).

5. As a former educator, you must have many, many stories both good and bad. Can you tell us just one that stands out from over the years?

The time the superintendent introduced me to a group of community leaders as the new principal. We were at a luncheon when he made the announcement. I stood up nervously, and knocked over a huge glass of iced tea that belonged to the man sitting next to me. The man didn’t react calmly when the iced tea hit his lap. “Wow!” he yelled. “That’s better than sex.”

6. What do you think is the biggest thing that needs to be changed in our educational system?

Teachers must get better pay and more autonomy.

7. Did you always want to be a teacher?

No. I had been a poor student, and when I graduated from high school I didn’t think that I could go to college. I had no plans except to get married and have children. I started college when I was twenty-eight.

8. What else is in the works for you?

I’m publishing stories for a friend just for his family and friends. Possibly publishing a book of stories of veteran friends or a collection of my previously published articles. More boating, travel, time with family.

How about a few fun questions.

9. What's your favorite book?

The Diary of Anne Frank

10. What's your favorite thing to do at the fair? A ride? The food? A game? A display?

I love the displays of animals, art, technology.

11. Car, truck or van?

A motorized wheelchair that I call my truck.

12. Phone, tablet, or laptop

All in the past, but now only tablet and phone.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”