Official Interview: Ela Lourenco

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Ela Lourenco

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Ela Lourenco author of Dragon Born among other books.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. What makes you unique?

I think every writer is unique in that they are the tellers of new tales but where I am perhaps a little different is that my books are a complete blend of fantasy, mythologies, rituals – both based in real ancient civilisations and created.

2. Who or what has been the most influential to you as an author?

There are too many to list! I am a bookworm and have been devouring books of all genres since I can read – Ursula Leguin is a particular favourite. Writers aside though, my own daughters are the inspiration behind my books.

3. What's the best advice you've been given?

To write what I enjoy, and that is exactly what I have done!

4. Let's talk about your book Dragon Born. How did it come to be?

I have my eldest daughter to thank for that! She was diagnosed with dyslexia aged 7 and although she loved stories and books, she found reading herself very tiring. She asked me to write books with all of her favourite things (dragons, magic, mystery…) in such an exciting way that she would not feel it was so hard for her to read them.

5. The reviewer mentions similarities to Harry Potter. Do you think that's accurate? She also mentioned, due to the ending, the series wouldn't continue in that vein. Does it stray from those similarities?

I myself loved the Harry Potter series! In my opinion the only similarities between my Dragon Born series and them are that they both involve magic, secrets and a magic school. I grew up reading books about magic schools so they have been around a while – I believe it is hard to write about magic nowadays and not be compared to the Potter series as it is such a phenomenon. However, I believe my readers will feel that they actually bear no similarity at all once the story progresses. My main inspiration in writing this series is actually from my love of Greek mythology and the inescapable prophecies and curses they describe!

6. What would you say the target age group is for the book?

When I wrote the first book in the series my daughter was eight years old so I was aiming for the 8-14 age group for purely personal reasons. However, I have had both younger and much older readers. The imagery and vocabulary is not at all childish but there is no sex or graphically violent scenes which I believe makes it a book for all ages.

7. How many are planned for the series?

There are five in all, and yes they have all been written! Dragon Born, Child of Fire and Awakening are all out and the last two are in the editing phase.

8. Do you have any other works in progress?

I have the first two books of my Ascension series, Radiant and Origins already out and am currently working on something very different and truly unique!

How about a few fun questions.

9. What's your favorite season and why?

It would have to be Autumn – the colours of the leaves, the crisp chill in the evenings, Halloween (a personal favourite!) and the approach of Christmas!

10. Do you have a favorite movie or TV show?

I have many! I love the Divergent series of books and movies and the Hunger Games ones too. I am a huge Star Trek fan (all series and movies) and love all things Marvel too!

11. If you had to choose a last meal, what would it be?

Steak, rocket salad with parmesan shavings and a glass of Chianti.

12. What's your least favorite day of the week and why?

Monday!! Dreadfully cliché I know but it means the weekend is over and I have to wait for it to come around again!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”