Official Interview: Blanca De La Rosa

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Blanca De La Rosa

Post by kandscreeley »

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen. Today's Chat with Sarah features Blanca De La Rosa author of Pursuing a Better Tomorrow.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on the bookshelves, click here.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What early experience did you have that taught you the power of language, specifically written words.

I grew up hearing a lot of sayings (clichés) and always had fun getting down to the meaning or lesson that the phrase is meant to deliver. When I discover the inspiration or wisdom behind the words, I get that aha moment that leads to profound thinking. For example, the simple cliché ‘"walk a mile in another's shoes." Those six words say so much about not being judgmental, criticizing another’s actions and motives, and being more tolerant. I am fascinated by the art of creation, inspiration, empowerment of the written word.

2. What's your favorite underappreciated literary work?

I’m relatively new to the literary world; Pursuing a Better Tomorrow is my first literary attempt.

3. Let's talk about your book, Pursuing a Better Tomorrow. How long did it take you to write and research this book?

I started writing and researching this book in 2000 as a hobby. Since I had a demanding career and family, I’d work on it sporadically whenever I had the time and inspiration. I took a creative writing course at Northern Virginia University and was so discouraged that I put the manuscript down for about four years. What made me think I could write a book? But despite the experience that nagging voice in my head kept telling me I had to write and publish this book. The bulk of the writing and synthesizing of the research was done in about one and one half years after I retired.

4. The book discusses your ancestry as they immigrated to the US. How severe was the culture shock?

As an immigrant, we all struggled with learning a new language and acclimating to the weather, fashion, values, and customs of a new culture. At times, these changes were so overwhelming that I wasn’t sure I’d ever fit in. My parents could not help, as they were also struggling to acclimate, and they did not understand or know what it took to get ahead in this new environment. Like many immigrants before them, they were trying to find their place in the land of opportunity. In the 1960s, there was no supportive Latino Community to help with assimilation and ascension within the dominant English-speaking culture. With no one to help ease the difficulties of transition, there was ample opportunity to stumble linguistically and culturally. We made plenty of mistakes along the way.

5. The reviewer, @Renu G, states that there may be a community of immigrants that need support. How can that be accomplished?

Immigrant children find it difficult to see success in their futures, as they are so engrossed in the learning of a new language, acclimating to a new environment, and feeling the weight of what appear to be insurmountable obstacles to overcome. They need people to show them that the perceived obstacles of poverty, learning a new language, and acclimating to a new culture are not insurmountable. That starts in schools. Teachers need to learn to recognize the child that is not doing as well as they could or should because they are going through the process of acclimation. As a society, we tend to blame immigrant or low-income children for being unwilling to pursue an education, calling them lazy or lacking in ambition. The truth of the matter is that the rejection from schools, peers, and society as a whole are partially to blame. As a society, we tend to ignore the plight of some of the most vulnerable in our communities. My first grade teacher was able to recognize that I was a scared child unfamiliar with her surroundings and took extra time to make me feel comfortable. I credit that first grade teacher with putting me on the right path.

6. What was the hardest part of the book to write?

My personal story was the hardest to write as I struggled with what to include/exclude. I did not want to offend anyone or come off as a drama queen.

7. What are your other works?

Empower Yourself for an Amazing Career was published in 2012 as my practice book to get a glimpse of the publishing world. In this book I share career advice, drawing heavily from my corporate career. I offer a fresh approach and insight on climbing the corporate ladder, combining practical, common-sense advice with inner wisdom and spirituality, providing strategies to increase the chances of success in the workplace.

8. Do you have anything else planned?

I will be definitely writing another book. I’m mulling over some ideas in my head. I have started a ‘Words to Live By’ in which I use old clichés and pair them with a short story that gets to wisdom and message of the phrase. I may use these stories in a blog. Editors hate clichés and I agree they have no business in a novel, but I love clichés. They are succinct and get to the heart of the matter and point.

I like to end on a few fun questions.

9. Would you rather be covered in fur or scales?

Fur. The scales sound like they may be prickly. Itchy, and uncomfortable.

10. Do you generally get to places early or late?

I’m usually early. I like to give myself the chance to get lost and still arrive at my destination on time.

11. If money or talent didn't matter, what would you do?

Although I love to sing, dance, and have always been fascinated by the law, I would continue to write books.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mahaley
Currently Reading: Daring Greatly
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mahaley »

I was not familiar with the author's work before stumbling across this interview, but coming from Texas where we have a large immigrant and first generation American population, I think getting perspectives like the author's is KEY to having a truly successful community where everyone feels welcomed and supported. I'm looking forward to reading the book!

Return to “Author Interviews”