Official Interview: Maxx Powr

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Maxx Powr

Post by kandscreeley »

Good morning fellow bibliophiles. Today's Chat with Sarah features Maxx Powr author of The Promise.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. When you aren't writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time I enjoy a little Call of Duty with friends and 3d rendering / animation.

2. Have you always wanted to be an author? How did you decide to try your hand at writing?

In high school I was encouraged to write by my English teacher, who thought I should pursue writing. I didn't until later in life when I wrote a few children's books. I sent them in the old fashioned way "over-the-transom" and received encouragement to continue from the slush pile readers. Life got in the way and the writing stopped until I released Fairalon: MG/YA Fantasy. It received rave reviews, but I knew nothing about marketing so it is largely languished, unknown by readers.

3. Let's talk about your book The Promise. It looks like you had a bit of a different process from many authors out there - you actually created the scene in a 3d program. Can you tell us more about that process?

I'm a very visual person. I see the scenes in my head like a movie. I can hear the characters talking to each other. (Could be I'm crazy.) I then create the images in a 3d program called Poser 3d. You can move around inside the images and see them from every point of view. You can also see your characters and it makes you think how they would respond, look, and react to other characters in the image. Sometimes I animate the scene but it is very difficult to make it look like anything we have become accustomed to from Pixar and others. It all started with Fairalon; wanting to include images in the book for kids, which I thought went well.

Some of the images for The Promise can be seen on the Piecer Chronicles Facebook page if anyone has any interest in them: https://www.facebook.com/PiecerChronicles/. A few fans have asked to see the art work and I'm happy to share, although the images may differ from the book. Some of the images I'm putting on a merchandise page for die hard fans. It's turning out very well so far and I at least, will be covered in merch-ware from The Promise for years.

4. The book is a science fiction about genetically modified humans even they are no longer needed to fight a war. How did you come up with your idea and why science fiction?

I have always loved Sci Fi. It's like magic with limits. Unlimited magic is risky to write because you can make a magic potion or spell to solve any problem that comes at you. Magic needs rules or limits. It's also why Superman has Kryptonite. There is not much of a story if there is no risk to the hero or heroine.

The Promise was in progress for over 2 years and I noticed that scientists were experimenting with DNA manipulation with CRISPR. Like everything, it can be used for good or for evil. If we do use it to make super people, how will they cope with us and how will we cope with them? Will we want superior humans around our regular average selves?

5. All these modified humans seen to have 523 after their name. Can you tell us why or is that something we have to find out ourselves?

Not all, actually, the 523's are part of batch 19,523 also known as the "bad batch." They drop the 19 so that their batch designation sounds more like a platoon number, and less like a production number. Something went wrong with that batch, or something went right with it, depending on your point of view, and these humans have special abilities. There were quite a few batches created to fight the war, including batch 19524, the last batch created.

6. There's also a robot created to be a sex slave that was freed. The reviewer mentions her learning new phrases throughout the story. Did you have any other Androids in mind when you wrote her? (Perhaps Data from Star Trek?)

I suppose I am like everyone else affected by Sci Fi culture; you absorb information and it gets played with in your subconscious. I really didn't have any other character in mind when I wrote Sheen and I purposely tried to stay away from other characters I have read or seen, like Data. As for the phrases she comes up with, that is just fun for me. So many of the things we say must be difficult for a machine to understand, or someone unfamiliar with our language. It allows me to point out the things humans do that would appear very odd to someone from another planet or to a machine. The fact that she is an android sex slave is a little odd. How did that happen? Why? Now that she is free to decide her life, what will she want to do? I can't wait to get into that in book 2.

7. I imagine quite a bit of research went into the story. Was the book more enjoyable to write, more of a chore, or somewhere in between?

Writing it was very enjoyable. If I can make myself laugh, then I can't wait to read it to someone to see if they will too. Sometimes the things the characters say surprises me, and that is just a wonderful experience. The chore comes when it's done, sometimes in the editing 1000 times, then the formatting, but mostly in the marketing. For me, marketing is like swimming across a river at night with no moon or stars to guide you; you just do it and hope you make it across.

8. What's next for you? Is there another book coming out any time in the future?

Book #2 of the Piecer Chronicles is already underway. No title yet, but it is taking shape. I have already started to play with the art work, the outline, and the first chapter is already done in my head.

How about a few fun questions to end on.

9. Being that you've written a science fiction novel, I think you've opened yourself up to some science fiction questions. Are you a Star Wars
or Star Trek fan?

Yes, I am. I don't get the whole which is better argument. They are both great. It's not like there is only 1 book you can like. I like the
characters from both. The biggest difference I see is that Star Trek was first, so the CGI and special effects were a little dated compared to the modern Star Wars films, but I still like them anyway. And the Star Trek "movies" had great effects so I like them all. Everything changes and we change as an audience, expecting more from our stories as time goes on.

10. Both have come out with either new series or new movies. Do you prefer the old or new?

I still like them all for the most part. We are spoiled as an audience with fantastical chase scenes and special effects being the norm. The new Star Wars movies lost the "Wow" factor of that opening scene when it first came out, but they are still interesting and fun. The characters become a part of you and you want to learn more about them. The CGI is amazing and they can do anything now.

11. Toilet paper. Does it go over or under?

Yes, as long as it's there when you need it.

12. What's your radio tuned to right now?

Ra-di-o? I listen to Pandora for new music suggestions, and Amazon music for my playlists while I write. I have a hard time dealing with
commercials, or for that matter, lyrics when I write.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I agree with him on the music, though I use spotify myself. Also, his answers about Star Wars and Trek are curious indeed.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I find it very interesting how this author uses 3D software during his creative process. Not only does it help with visualization, especially for complicated scenes and fancy sci-fi gadgets, but the resulting images can be used for promotion and merchandise. Definitely a great idea, provided you have the skills to do it. Thanks for the interview!

Return to “Author Interviews”