Music For Studying?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: Music For Studying?

Post by sourav15 »

Different kind of music triggers different type of moods and emotions and that also depend on personal preferences. As many have already mentioned here, and is also supported by scientific studies that classical music can calm the nerves and help you to focus more on the task at hand, studying. But that's an average response. It won't be true for everyone.

As for me, music acts more like a buffer from other external distractions while studying or doing some other important tasks. I tend to use the volume depending on my environment, to suit the need.:)
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
CrystalSnow
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalsnow.html

Post by CrystalSnow »

One of my favorite bands released an instrumental version of their album and I listen to that a lot while studying and reading as it has a familiar tune but no lyrics to distract me.
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

I've always found that classical music and instrumental helps. When it comes to instrumental, I tend to go for soundtracks or epic music .
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Having ADD it's hard to focus for long periods of time while reading. If I don't have music going then my mind goes off somewhere, and before you know it there goes a few pages without really reading them.

I personally love to listen to a Jazz album by Miles Davis called, In a Silent Way. I turn it down low enough where I'm really not actively listening to the album, but it grabs that part of my brain that allows the other part to keep reading. (Wow that sounds like there are more than one of me up there, yikes).

Read many books listening to In A Silent Way on a constant loop. Also like to read to classical music as well like Mozart's Elvira Madigan, or any piece that is mellow enough and helps keep me focused while reading.
Jazzed063
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31955">The Mozart Conspiracy</a>
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzed063.html

Post by Jazzed063 »

mbl0680, if you like Miles Davis, look up his album on youtube entitled, "Kind of Blue." :)
mbl0680 wrote:Having ADD it's hard to focus for long periods of time while reading. If I don't have music going then my mind goes off somewhere, and before you know it there goes a few pages without really reading them.

I personally love to listen to a Jazz album by Miles Davis called, In a Silent Way. I turn it down low enough where I'm really not actively listening to the album, but it grabs that part of my brain that allows the other part to keep reading. (Wow that sounds like there are more than one of me up there, yikes).

Read many books listening to In A Silent Way on a constant loop. Also like to read to classical music as well like Mozart's Elvira Madigan, or any piece that is mellow enough and helps keep me focused while reading.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html

Post by Mark Johnson »

Agree, Kinda Blue is a great album. As a record collector I have that one on vinyl. Actually would use the song So What to test new headphones. Used to do a lot of reviewing for Amazon. Lot of headphones can't clearly pick up the resonating walking bass line on the first part of So What until the first crash of the symbol. Great album. Actually Kinda Blue is one of the albums that got me into Jazz.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I used to always listen to music while studing, generally classical helped me the best.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MarinaY
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the sorcer's stone
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MarinaY »

I listen to the "Peaceful Piano" playlist on spotify when working or drawing :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't listen to music while studying but when I need a break, I turn on some upbeat music. It gets my mind pumped and ready for part 2 of the torture lol
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

Some times I will listen to classical music, mostly it is because of loud noises that are occurring outside (construction, tree trimming, lawn mowers). I rarely do this because it can distract me, but volume is important too. No matter what kind of music that it is, if it's too loud you can't study.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

For me it is most definitely classical. It is quite relaxing and helps me to focus on what I am doing.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

It's definitely a preference per person. My husband likes to listen to new music while he's working, because he's not getting caught up in the lyrics. I prefer music I know, because with new music, I'm interested in what they are saying as well as the beat. We both listen to all sorts of music, but each comes with a different action. Sleeping, I like softer country music, reading I like anything. Studying, I enjoy classical. Working, old time rock and roll :). Outside in the yard, old rock, country, anything really.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Rattusv
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rattusv »

Classical piano or guitar instrumentals are my favorite, but I also like a nice harpsichord, violin and cello ensemble.
normindrasarawi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by normindrasarawi »

I absolutely love listening to music, but I never listen to it while studying. It distracts me a lot and I can’t focus on what I am studying. The only time for me to turn the music on is when I need time to relax and unwind.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Muhammad Tariq

Post by Muhammad Tariq »

I'm a medical student and most of the stuff requires attention and to some extent cramming..so music is not an option in my case.
I did use rock music while doing mathematics in high school..it made maths fun☺

Return to “Poetry & Music”