Music For Studying?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Abby121
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby121.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Re: Music For Studying?

Post by Abby121 »

I love listening to music whilst studying, although I found the same issues you seem to be facing as well. Listening to music I knew and liked was hard because I would get distracted listening to the lyrics. The thing that works the best for me is listening to music in a language I don't know. For example, I listen to French music. I literally just went on my Spotify and found a French playlist. If you find French isn't the style you like, then for sure you can pick another. Just an idea!
arditalim
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by arditalim »

Lucinda Nevarez wrote: 27 Sep 2016, 09:39 The best music, I've listened to would be classical music. It helps keep my mind in a state of serenity which allows me retain knowledgeable information I need. There has been a study on how classical music, particularly Mozart, enhances your IQ levels while studying.
I have to agree, that helps the most, any other type of music, especially anything that also has lyrics to it, is really distracting for me and I can hardly focus
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

The only type of music I can listen to while I study is lo-fi. I tried to listen to classical music but I was too distracted by it.
~Roxie~
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I am not musical, but music is a huge part of my life. I feel like I always have it on in the background.

When studying I found that I could only listen to music I was already familiar with. If I tried a new playlist I always found that I was paying more attention to the song than my actual studying. It is the same when I read, I must already know the music I am listening to. I think it is pretty cool though, especially with reading, that now when I hear some songs or specific albums I had playing, I think back to what I was reading about. Too bad you can't take your music into tests. HA!
cassibear13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cassibear13 »

I have learned that if I listen to music that I really like and know all of the lyrics to while studying then all I will remember on test day is that song. I would recommend listening to classical music at a quiet volume, you don't want the music to overwhelm your thought process in any way.
vanvilasresort
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vanvilasresort »

Hello
I thing classic music is best for study.
Thanks...
gshallar_
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gshallar.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by gshallar_ »

I have tried listening to many different genres while studying or doing schoolwork, and what I have found works best for me is music without lyrics that can just play in the background. It doesn’t have to be just classical or jazz music, anything that is peaceful and soft does the trick. The deep focus playlists on Spotify are a life saver when you’re in a crunch to finish a paper.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I don't like to listen to any music at all while I'm studying. Even if it doesn't have lyrics, I still get distracted. When I study, I concentrate a lot on what I'm reading to store it into memory, so I like having complete silence. If it's not a super serious study session, though, I like to play my favorite music (rock or pop) at a lower volume. That way I can still enjoy myself without getting too distracted.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I often listen to music while I read. It adds an amplified sense of mood and tone. Emotions are able to felt even more strongly. I mostly listen to video game orchestral movements for general scenes, since those songs are created to be in the background. Then, at the most climactic parts I listen to Two Steps From Hell. I think listening to music when reading adds more flavor to the words.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I’ve found that when I study with instrumental music, when I listen to that music again, all of that knowledge is brought to my remembrance. So for the most part, I do study with music.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

It actually took me a while to focus while listening to music, but I find that it helps with memory retention. I have to remind myself constantly to not get lost in the song and concentrate on what I'm reading sometimes but whenever I'm trying to recall something I learned I just remember a certain line or lyric from the song and that helps.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

When I was studying a lot in university I had a playlist of classical music that I would listen to during finals and midterms. Anything with words would distract me but so did silence so I needed a middle ground.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

It works well for me as it helps with focus and keeps my energy up.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

Slow calming music does help in studying. It increases the concentration.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I can't study, read or write without music. What works best for me is lo-fi and two albums by a semi-unknown band named Castlebeat.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Poetry & Music”