Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
earthkid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Does music help you write?

Post by earthkid »

Basic question. :D

For me, if it's lyricless, generally classical music reaaaaaaally helps me brainstorm.

What about you?
billrainier

Post by billrainier »

I helps somehow, you will have ideas from the song.
lea454

Post by lea454 »

Each one us has it's differences. For me, music does not help me to think and write. I like silence so that I can think well.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

classical music helps me write.
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

Yep, I always have music on. As long as it is not too loud, I can block it out and it just acts like background noise.
Mer_Blackwood

Post by Mer_Blackwood »

I can listen to music without words, not too loud, if I'm writing prose. Music has inspired my poems, but I don't listen to anything while I'm writing it. I don't want any interference with the rhythm.
jhdogtraining

Post by jhdogtraining »

When I write something, I always listen to classical and instrumental music. It helps me think and the room is filled with coziness.
ebookman568

Post by ebookman568 »

yes classical music is definitely a huge helper when it comes to writing
Loops

Post by Loops »

I put together playlists that keep me in deep thought. I know the songs well enough that the lyrics aren't distracting. The whole ambiance creates a mood where I can lose track of time and get absorbed in what I'm writing about.
macro01

Post by macro01 »

It depends on the kind of music. I like classical
music. And hate rock music can't focus my mind
It doesn't help me, it will only distract my mood.
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

Pipe organ music. Yes I am weird.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
selfer

Post by selfer »

Yeah, I don't like to tell my guy friends, but writing to Enya is somehow incredible. :)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ambient music helps me focus, what also comes to mind is the CD "Moon Safari" by air, and the song called Sol Solis by Moving Mountains. I always found with classical I would start ignoring my writing to enjoy the music, same goes for rock and so on, it needs to be light and unintrusive.
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

I use The Smashing Pumpkins "Ava Adore" cd to write. That cd always gets my brain going.

I can't write in silence. Too quiet!
alimena

Post by alimena »

Of course.

Sometimes the right song will give you the inspiration you need to write. You can create stories from just one line of the lyrics og the song if your eally like it so much, believe me.

Return to “Poetry & Music”