Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
lph113
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lph113.html

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by lph113 »

Music definitely helps me write...With that being said, music without lyrics I find to be better for brainstorming so that my thought process and direction aren't influenced too much. I want to be inspired by the music, not persuaded by it.
SoulDreamer26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-souldreamer26.html

Post by SoulDreamer26 »

Its calmness relaxes me and let's out a stress less energy for me to focus on my writing. It depends on what kind of genre of music I'm listening though that sets my mood. However, I mostly listen to folk music.
Kkerr2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kkerr2.html

Post by Kkerr2 »

Oh definitely! My only stipulation is that sometimes I get so lost in the music I forget to write, so sometimes I will listen to music and do nothing to get the creative vibes flowing and when I get images in my mind, I'll either pause the music or ignore it to write them down. I usually like classical dramatic pieces of music for writing, or rock/metal for more aggressive pieces.
arilynn

Post by arilynn »

Music definitely helps me write. In addition to music (country usually) helping me focus, I've written many short stories inspired by whatever I'm listening to at the moment.
sabrinanicole2010

Post by sabrinanicole2010 »

Music helps me do everying exept read or write need a clear head
Dave Matthes
Favorite Author: Charles Bukowski
Currently Reading: Women
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2751

Post by Dave Matthes »

Depends on what sort of writing I'm doing. A long time ago, I wrote a small series of scifi novels (that I eventually never really published because they were that badly written haha), but during that process I listened mostly to instrumental music, mostly movie scores and trailer music by a group called "Two Steps From Hell". Currently, as I've been on a mostly contemporary fiction kick with my writing, I listen to a lot of mood music, stuff you might hear in the oldest of old bars. Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Warren Zevon, etc. I don't think I'd really be able to write anything if it wasn't for music. 8)
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

I find that it depends on the type of writing and my mood. If I'm doing technical writing for work, I often like to have music on in the background. But if I'm writing anything personal, I need silence.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
lakenbutler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakenbutler.html

Post by lakenbutler »

Sometimes. It inspires me, sometimes. Gives me ideas. Other times, it's just a distraction.
Mbarnes
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbarnes.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mbarnes »

Yes, I do believe that music helps you write. I have always beileved in having music on when I am in a creative mood. It seems to help get my mind on track to wonderland. Life without music would just be boring. There is a genre or song for every mood that you are feeling. There are ones that make you have a pep in your step and then there are some that really put you in the dumps. I listen to all sorts of music from oldies to hard rock. There is something that just pulls me to music. I would be lost without my pandora account. I even try and go to sleep listening to music when my husband doesnt complain about it. It just always makes me happy go lucky.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
pinstar
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (Unpublished Old Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by pinstar »

For me it usually distracts me and I end up typing the words in the song. But music without words can go either way for me.
wuliwawa
Currently Reading: Mothers and Other Liars

Post by wuliwawa »

music can improve ones's imagination and productivity .
When listen to music, your brains is more active in creative thinking
midlightangel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midlightangel.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by midlightangel »

Instrumental music helps me. I don't like listening to music with words while I write because I don't want the lyrics to affect my inspiration
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I think music can be a great source of inspiration in creating stories, but i prefer silence when i read or write.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Lyricishani
Currently Reading: Once a God: The Spirit of Miriam
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyricishani.html
Latest Review: "Behind Closed Doors (1)" by A.L. Smith

Post by Lyricishani »

Yes, but the type of music depends on what I am writing about. Music is definitely a catalyst for me when it comes to writing my poetry. ?
Latest Review: "Behind Closed Doors (1)" by A.L. Smith
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I've never been able to concentrate in silence. It has to be the oldies. The eagles are just one band. I'm a big music person.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Return to “Poetry & Music”