Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Yes! For each project or series, I pick one song and listen to it on repeat. Eventually, I don't even notice it anymore, but the familiar music, beat, and lyrics help my mind switch to writing mode faster.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

Yes, of course, music has an influence on writing. Of course, I like happy songs because I get great spirits, but gentle ones are mostly good for writing.
Futurefinder-223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Futurefinder-223 »

To be honest listening to music in general while writing is a distaction however beats and music without lyrics can be less of a distraction. This way you dont loose your thought and enjoy backround noise
aldoralos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldoralos.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by aldoralos »

Positive uplifting songs or lyrics make me able to think more clearly about what I wish to write more of, but only after I listen, then turn it off whilst I write. If I get an idea or inspired by the melody or lyrics theme, I'll possibly write something similar, but never the same of course!
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Yes, music sometimes help me write. While listening to music, sometimes I am also reflecting upon the experiences of my life. Such instances enable me come up with idea(s) which I think about thoroughly and create a plot, traits and feelings I want confined within my story.
ythewait

Post by ythewait »

yes classical music is definitely a huge helper when it comes to writing
sofiabbeline

Post by sofiabbeline »

Every person has a different way of forming ideas and brainstorming topics while writing. Some in silence, the sound of the rain,etc. Music is one of the most popular ways to form ideas in your writing and to finish satisfied in your work.
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

I sometimes listen to jazz when I write.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Sarina2756
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sarina2756 »

Yes it does it help me think freely and allow what I want to write about come easily.give me muse.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Absolutely. Music is at the heart of everything in my life. I not only find certain songs inspiring as far as artistic content and stimulating my imagination; it also helps to calm my aniety, and encourage me in my writing endavors. I have a playlist to encourage me to get up and write every day, motivate me toward my goals and help me to adhere to my work ethic. I have a playlist of Celtic music that sweeps me away to a fantasy realm, and I have another playlist to help me relax and focus on all my tasks (including writing).
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Post by 451 »

Yes songs literally help me in so many ways to write and do so much things
KaitlinPeel
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by KaitlinPeel »

I love to write when listening to music. Also it is great to use music as a writing exercise if you need some inspiration. Sometimes I pick a song listen to the lyrics and then create a short story around the story that is being told in the song. Even if the story you end up writing is very different than what the song actually means it's a great way to get the juices flowing.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I think it tends to distract me, but I can do it :-)
-Thea M. Frederick
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

Yes! But when writing, I mostly listen to genres of music that are more into instrumentals and does not have that much lyrics. I find that listening to music sometimes brings out the emotions needed for me to write. Post-rock music, classical music, and lo-fi music are the genres that I usually listen to while I write. :)
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

Brunuhville gives me lots of inspiration. When I listen to their songs, a story or image flashes in my mind and then sends me on a huge writing-spree. Also, movies really help me find inspiration, along with being outside.
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel

Return to “Poetry & Music”