Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Denak82
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by Denak82 »

Music the tone the beat the sound helps me write it also depends on my mode and what type of music because there is music for everything i go thru
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I find music distracting when I have to get other work done. I'm not a multitasker so when I listen to music I get immersed in it and it becomes difficult to focus. However, I listen to Buddhist chants. As it's the same words chanted again and again, it doesn't pull me into a black hole so I can focus with those playing.
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

lea454 wrote: 08 May 2009, 02:16 Each one us has it's differences. For me, music does not help me to think and write. I like silence so that I can think well.
Oh wow, I totally relate to this.
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

It does. It helps me more focus and gain ideas when I write something heavy like essays and such.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

No, it's quite distracting.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Cool music always gives me poetic ideas soul music is just what I need especially when I am stressed out.
Wanja Kenya
Lauren gray

Post by Lauren gray »

Everyone is different In there own way but to me music helps me write!! It helps me think more and express what I'm trying to say... It also helps me to concentrate on what else I can add but then when I don't listen to music I never know what to write I can sit there for hours with a pen and paper and not have 1 word written down but with music I can write page after page.
DreamStoryWeaver
Currently Reading: Cordina's Royal Family
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by DreamStoryWeaver »

Absolutely. Or at least most of the time.

It really depends on what I want to write and what I want to convey through my writing. For example, if I want to write a fight scene, I tend to listen to fast paced songs; maybe even some with heavy metal instruments because it makes my blood pump with adrenaline when I hear it. I can imagine my characters moving to beat and certain notes can practically make me feel the impact of a hit.

If I want to write a sad scene, I listen to music or songs that makes me want to cry in order to visualize what my character is physically feeling in the moment. Wither its the loss of another character, or them experiencing heartbreak all over again, the right song helps me to visualize how it got to that point. Otherwise I tend to listen to lyric-less music, ones designed to help you relax and let the mind wonder.
Eve weka

Post by Eve weka »

Music helps me as a writer write. Sometimes when I want to write a sad scene, i find my scene gravitating towards a sad music to help in force a sad energy.
unencumbered
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unencumbered.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by unencumbered »

I have music playing at the moment, but when I'm writing fiction I feel a sense of needing quiet time, in order to think better. Music can be distracting and frustrates my efforts to think clearly.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Sometimes it's just one line or word from the song that just opens this new door in my mind and I'm like, hey, here we go. Otherwise, the tune of the song generally sets a mood, if you will, of what I can write.
-+-+Lucyhoode-+-+

Post by -+-+Lucyhoode-+-+ »

Does music help you write? I wake up to music. I enjoy friends with music. I walk to music. I sing to music. I fall asleep to meditation music. Most of all I draw ideas from music and write write write to music.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I think it does help with the flow of words, as at some points I tend to have strong feelings but I lack the ability to put them into words.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

No, music doesn't improve my writing skills. Instead, when I am stressed, it helps me to write.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

Most definitely. It motivates my mind. Furthermore, music inspires me in all I do.

Return to “Poetry & Music”